Colour of Cr3 from EOS250d is faded

Hello everyone,
I have a problem with RAW photos when open in RT. When switch to edit mode, the thumbnail and the photo as well get a little faded colours. I do not know how to struggle with this issue. Please note that i do not do anything, it occurs just when i double-click on thumbnail to choose it to show on edit mode.

Edit
Please note also that it does not happen when double-click on plain JPEG.

Welcome aboard!

Have a look at:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Getting_Started
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Editor#Eek.21_My_Raw_Photo_Looks_Different_than_the_Camera_JPEG

The EOS 250D does not yet have support for accurate colors. Adobe Camera Raw also does not support this camera yet, which you can check here Cameras supported by Camera Raw (it says ā€˜Noā€™ in the second column).
The only solution is to provide us shots as described here: How to create DCP color profiles - RawPedia

In addition, please see Adding Support for New Raw Formats - RawPedia and provide the necessary shots as well, if possible.

Many thanks for your answers. Thus, the only solutions is to create DCP profile, isnā€™t it?
I am afraid that I do not have such a colour pattern book to take photo of.
Is it possible that someone else has done it before and can share the DCP file here on forum?

I have noticed that this issue does not occur when I open RAW in Canonā€™s Digital Photo Profesjonalne 4.
I think that it could be the easiest solution for me for the time being.
Do you think that this issue can be solved in the future update of RT?

Absolutely, but only if either Adobe generates a color profile which we can adopt, or somebody takes the requests shots themselves.

I have the same problem as mentioned above. The colours in lightroom are just normal but in Rawtherapee not. This is strange, because Lightroom is part of Adobe. I would like to use Rawtherapee, but itā€™s not possible in this way. I canā€™t make a DCP profile myself.

How is is possible that Adobe doesnā€™t have the DCP, but lightroom does?

What has RawTherapee in common with Adobe?

Lightroom is the product of Adobe, isnā€™t it?
Some say that if the Adobe generated the colour profiles, RawTherapee would adopt them. Maybe that is what they could have in common.

Anyway, I think I found some temporary solution for that problem. I might be totally wrong because I am not a professional, so correct me if this is the case, please.
I looked into the Adobe Digital Negative Converter profiles, you can find them in:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera (Please note that I am using Windows10)
And I found folders denoted with names of camera. I know that the former version of EOS 250d was EOS 200d and there was a folder with this name. Moreover I found folder for EOS M50 which is mirrorless camera of course, but they work on the same sensor and image processor.
Inside of those folders you can find *.dcp files for each prefabricated profiles. See screenshot below.

I made a try and tested those profiles by uploading them manually to the RT and the result was very good from my point of view. Maybe someone more experienced can tell me if this method is good or it is better to beware of such a combination?
The biggest problem is that I need to load camera profile in each photo separately and again. (Iā€™m newbie and I still did not work out any enhancement for this workflow:) )

How is is possible that Adobe doesnā€™t have the DCP, but lightroom does?

Hi Kim, welcome to the community! Unless Adobeā€™s documentation is out of date, the 250D should not be supported in either Lightroom or Photoshop as of August 2020. https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html is where you can check that. Like it says at the top, ā€œSupported applications include Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, After Effects, and Bridge.ā€, so the list applies to all of these and it has a clear ā€œNoā€ for the 250D.

@Bart What youā€™re doing with hi-jacking another profile could definitely work, but again, unless someone does some real profiling, we never know for sure how accurate that color representation will be.

Ok, thank you.

I have got only one more question. Is there any option to convert the, let say M50ā€™s profiles, or create on the gorund of them own profiles for 250d so that the RT will start to load them automatically as it was the native 250d without my any action?

+1 to that, but I have a smidge of evidence that Canon configures at least some of their sensors with similar Bayer filtration, giving them consistent color production. Still, itā€™s a dodgy approach, but itā€™s easy to test: Use the profile, see what it does. if you like itā€¦

I guess you could try the dcamprof tool to change the data. But maybe even just changing the filename to match your exact camera name (as written in RawTherapee) and then put it in dcpprofiles folder of RT might work - havenā€™t checked.

It may take a while for Adobe to get new specs from the manufacturer. The advantage they have over us is negotiation power $$$, and if they have to do it themselves, they have smart people to characterize the cameras and lenses. 250D may take longer because it is an entry camera.

We have smart people too and tinkerers like yourselves. Learn the craft. :wink:

From what I read somewhere Adobe needs to reverse engineer just like everyone else. This is the main reason they have no canon profiles for cr3 other then their own. Would also explain why their colors are off on cr3 cameras. Right now the only out of the box right result is canon dpp4. Adobe is a bit yellow as well as dxo. Capture one is slightly red/magenta. Affinity is actually pretty close but their raw converter is useless with no way to re tweak results without starting over.

I am sure these companies can extract some help from canon through talks but it is not like they are handed the keys.

It is a bit of everything. If the specs arenā€™t shared, they put their staff to work. There is a back and forth with their customers and the manufacturers. Eventually, the colours converge to something everyone can appreciate.

Of course, for cameras like the 1D X Mark III, they have to get it right the first time, yesterday.

On the bright side most tools are good enough you can fix it with little issue. :joy: I just wish companies were more forthcoming with at least some form of black box api to read the files. Would be better for everyone.

There is a huge difference in amount of work required to reverse engineer a binary file format (to read CR3 files) and to profile the color rendition (to produce a DCP). Give me a camera, a lightbulb and a color chart and the profile is done within the hour. @afre is probably right in saying that Adobe doesnā€™t put priority on this particular camera because itā€™s an entry level camera.

Iā€™ve had reasonable success making matrix profiles from the DPReview studio shots in their comparison tool. Hereā€™s a profile:

canon_eos250d_matrix-dcamprof.icc (524 Bytes)

Hereā€™s the dcamprof dE report:

D01 DE 0.00 DE LCh +0.00 +0.00 +0.00 (white)
  D02 DE 0.43 DE LCh -0.25 -0.30 +0.16 (gray 80%)
  A03 DE 0.52 DE LCh -0.51 +0.09 +0.05 (purple-blue)
  A06 DE 0.76 DE LCh -0.59 +0.48 -0.10 (light cyan)
  A01 DE 0.85 DE LCh -0.48 +0.65 -0.28 (dark brown)
  A02 DE 0.93 DE LCh -0.58 -0.72 -0.08 (red)
  A05 DE 1.18 DE LCh +0.95 +0.81 +0.61 (purple-blue)
  D04 DE 1.21 DE LCh -0.55 -0.30 +1.04 (gray 50%)
  B04 DE 1.29 DE LCh +1.07 -0.17 +0.69 (dark purple)
  D03 DE 1.32 DE LCh -0.77 -0.90 +0.59 (gray 70%)
  B03 DE 1.57 DE LCh +1.27 -0.55 +0.75 (red)
  D05 DE 1.62 DE LCh +0.37 -0.09 +1.57 (gray 40%)
  B02 DE 1.74 DE LCh +0.62 -0.34 +1.34 (purple-blue)
  C05 DE 1.75 DE LCh +1.25 -0.25 +1.20 (purple-red)
  A04 DE 1.78 DE LCh -1.67 -0.16 -0.59 (yellow-green)
  D06 DE 1.81 DE LCh +1.25 -0.21 +1.30 (gray 20%)
  C06 DE 1.86 DE LCh +1.33 +0.01 -1.30 (blue)
  B01 DE 2.00 DE LCh -1.07 -1.30 -1.07 (strong orange)
  C02 DE 2.26 DE LCh -1.15 -1.84 -0.63 (yellow-green)
  C01 DE 2.37 DE LCh +1.45 -0.53 +1.45 (dark purple-blue)
  C03 DE 2.68 DE LCh +2.24 -1.19 +0.86 (strong red)
  B06 DE 2.78 DE LCh -1.63 -1.65 -1.54 (light strong orange)
  C04 DE 2.83 DE LCh -1.03 -2.45 -0.95 (light vivid yellow)
  B05 DE 4.33 DE LCh -2.89 -2.94 -1.34 (light strong yellow-green)

Max dE = 4.33 for a matrix profile isnā€™t too badā€¦

1 Like

Thank you for your work and the result which is camera colour profile file.

It works perfect when manually loaded as a custom input profile, but I would like to make it automatic. Do you know how to do it?

I tried to rename file with the name of my camera - Canon EOS 250D and put it into dcpprofile directory in RawTherapee folder but it did not work. I made an alias in camera_model_aliases.json file in there but it also did not work.

I think that maybe it can be done as described in the RT official manual, to force software to read it automatically, but unfortunately I have no idea how to perform this operation in the file called camconst.json. I made an attempt just to check if it is going to work or crash the software. I copied that file to:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\RawTherapee
and tried to copy in this file the part for EOS 200D and rename it for EOS 250D, just for checking purpose whether or not software is going to take it and assign to photos from my camera. When all has been done, I run the RT and load to Editor mode some *.cr3 photo and something has happened because picture has been totally pink or totally white. When I deleted the file and run RT again, photos became normal.
Thus I think this could be the way, but how to take the info from *.icc file and put correctly to the camconst.json?
Maybe somebody else has some good experience with this issue?

No, Iā€™m not a RT user. It probably has something to do with making a custom procesing profile.

Iā€™m glad the profile works!