Compiling nightly on macOS

I’ve created this new topic, because the previous conversation was contaminating the thread about videos.

Ok, until now my progress was:

• clone the repo
  • brew install intltool
  • ./autogen.sh

I receive the following error

configure.ac:33: warning: AM_NLS is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
m4/intltool.m4:160: IT_PROG_INTLTOOL is expanded from...
configure.ac:33: the top level
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/local/Cellar/autoconf/2.69/bin/autoconf --force --warnings=no-portability
configure.ac:33: warning: AM_NLS is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
m4/intltool.m4:160: IT_PROG_INTLTOOL is expanded from...
configure.ac:33: the top level
configure:3108: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_NLS
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/local/Cellar/autoconf/2.69/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
+ exit 1

brew link gettext

Ok, some progress and a new blocker :wink: . At the moment, I’ve accomplished a partial build following this steps:

brew link gettext --force
brew install intltool exiv2 gtk+3 fftw gsl cfitsio libconfig opencv gtk-mac-integration
./autogen.sh
make

Now, the compilation starts, the C part seems fine, but it hangs compiling one C++ source file (right now it has spend more that 10 min with a 100% CPU use by clang process)

depbase=`echo rt/boxblur.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
g++ -std=c++11 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..  -DPACKAGE_DATA_DIR='"/usr/local/share/siril"' -DPACKAGE_DOC_DIR='"/usr/local/share/doc/siril"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/local/share/locale"' -I/usr/local/Cellar/opencv/4.2.0_1/include/opencv4/opencv -I/usr/local/Cellar/opencv/4.2.0_1/include/opencv4 -I/usr/local/Cellar/ffmpeg/4.2.2_1/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/libffi/3.2.1/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/gtk+3/3.24.12_1/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.62.4/include/gio-unix-2.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/cairo/1.16.0_2/include/cairo -I/usr/local/Cellar/libepoxy/1.5.4/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/pango/1.44.7/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/fribidi/1.0.8/include/fribidi -I/usr/local/Cellar/harfbuzz/2.6.4/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/local/Cellar/graphite2/1.3.13/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/atk/2.34.1/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/cairo/1.16.0_2/include/cairo -I/usr/local/Cellar/pixman/0.38.4/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/local/Cellar/fontconfig/2.13.1/include -I/usr/local/opt/freetype/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/Cellar/libpng/1.6.37/include/libpng16 -I/usr/local/Cellar/gdk-pixbuf/2.40.0/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.62.4/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.62.4/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.62.4/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/pcre/8.43/include -DMAC_INTEGRATION -I/usr/local/Cellar/libffi/3.2.1/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/gtk-mac-integration/2.1.3_3/include/gtkmacintegration -I/usr/local/Cellar/gtk+3/3.24.12_1/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.62.4/include/gio-unix-2.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/cairo/1.16.0_2/include/cairo -I/usr/local/Cellar/libepoxy/1.5.4/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/pango/1.44.7/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/fribidi/1.0.8/include/fribidi -I/usr/local/Cellar/harfbuzz/2.6.4/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/local/Cellar/graphite2/1.3.13/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/atk/2.34.1/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/cairo/1.16.0_2/include/cairo -I/usr/local/Cellar/pixman/0.38.4/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/local/Cellar/fontconfig/2.13.1/include -I/usr/local/opt/freetype/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/Cellar/libpng/1.6.37/include/libpng16 -I/usr/local/Cellar/gdk-pixbuf/2.40.0/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.62.4/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.62.4/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.62.4/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/pcre/8.43/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/libtiff/4.1.0/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/libpng/1.6.37/include/libpng16 -I/usr/local/Cellar/fftw/3.3.8_1/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/cfitsio/3.470/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/gsl/2.6/include  -I/usr/local/Cellar/libconfig/1.7.2/include -I../deps/kplot   -Werror=unknown-pragmas -Werror=unused-label -fno-common -ftree-vectorize -O2  -MT rt/boxblur.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o rt/boxblur.o rt/boxblur.cc &&\
mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po

Before this step, I can see a couple of C++ sources compiled perfectly. Any clue about what can be going wrong?

Thanks in advance

P.D. My plan, after I’ve a compiled copy in my Mac is to make a pull request to the repo with my notes, so further Mac collaborators will have an easier on boarding and we can alleviate the noise on the forums :slight_smile:

Problem found and fixed: Xcode 11 is needed (Apple clang version 11.0.0). I was using Xcode 10.3 and it hangs. After upgrading the Xcode version, I was able to compile and run SiriL 0.99.0

Thanks for your time and support!

1 Like

Strange because we build the bundle with xcode sdk 10.9.

I’m not talking about SDK version, but compiler version. As I said, Xcode 10.3 doesn’t works, and Xcode 11.3.1 works. I’ve not made any change in configuration files.

OK, but on a old macBookPro where I compile Siril, Xcode version is 7.3

So the problem is:

• related to Xcode 10.3 in general
  • related to my installation of Xcode 10.3 in my equipment

I’ll have the “opportunity” to check in other different macOS on a couple of days. I’ll try to build it with Xcode 10.3

I know there are some issues with homebrew (we don’t use it for the bundle).
For example, Gtk3 has a lot of issue with hombrew and is quite slow.

We can discard the “one machine, one problem”. I’ve tried to compile on a fresh installed machine with Catalina (macOS 10.15.2), using Xcode 10.3 and the compilation hangs exactly on the same file (rt/boxblur.cc)

1 Like