Confused after fresh re-import of image

I am just now trying to settle down and focus on working with 3.6. After simply importing an image file, I am already confused.

I selected an existing image in the lighttable view and Removed it from the collection. Then, I went to a Linux terminal and ls the directory contents. The .xmp file was still there, so I deleted it. Then, I went back to lighttable, selected the file, and imported it. When I then went to the darkroom view, it still gave me the edit history I had done to the file a few weeks ago. Why?

I wanted to see the starting point as if I had imported a file darktable had never processed before. Why doesn’t deletion of the .xmp accomplish that?

The .xmp is the separate edit history … but the database retains the history also.

Quick fix would be to open history, select “0 original” and compress the stack to remove all your edits.

How to purge the database? Hmmm … Danger, Will Robinson! :robot:

2 Likes

Thank you. I was under the (mis)impression that the .xmp was where it picked up the edit history.

“remove” (in the selected images module) should remove the image from the database. If you delete the XMP as well that should be edit history gone entirely. So I don’t know what’s happened there.

1 Like

Thanks. That was what I was thinking. But I followed Martin’s advice, and I believe I got a “fresh” 3.6 edit.

dt 3.6. This is still using my old workflow habits, though. I intend to dig into Color Balance RGB, very soon.

DSC_4351_01.NEF.xmp (9.3 KB)

You could also use the ‘discard history’ option under history stack in lighttable view with the image selected.

You’ll get a fresh new edit starting point.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with @elstoc: history should have been removed.
However, go get back to a pristine image, you don’t need to do what @martin.scharnke recommends (going to the darkroom, selecting the ‘original’ entry, compressing the stack). Instead, select the image(s) in lighttable, create a duplicate if you want a backup), and click discard history:

In the darkroom, you can use the duplicate manager to create a copy with a pristine stack (but with all auto-applied modules and presets):

Compressing down to 0 will turn on darktable’s auto-applied modules, but I don’t think it’ll apply your own auto-applied presets => it also applies your auto-apply presets (thanks, @elstoc).

1 Like

In the light table is a ‘discard history’ I always use to return back to stock.

Edit: argh. The forum is very slow to load for me, causing it to hide all other posts. So I think nobody replied yet, yet on reloading to check my post it suddenly shows 5+ posts already saying the same thing. Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

Compressing to 0 (or discarding history) should apply all auto presets including user-defined ones.

1 Like

Correct, you’re right.