Confusion with Photoflow layer in GIMP

First of all, big thanks to @Carmelo_DrRaw for the photoflow software.

I have a question about Photoflow. It seems to me the current behavior of the Photoflow (phf) plugin in GIMP is a bit strange. Let me illustrate my point with an example.

Let’s say, I have a layer A in GIMP.

After I use phf to edit layer A, Phf will create a new layer on top of layer A (let’s call this new layer “Adjusted A”). So I ended up with two layers, namely A and Adjusted A.

Then let’s say I need to do a double exposure effect. I would insert another layer (let’s call it B) under Adjusted A and set the opacity to say 50%. Now everything is fine and I got the double exposure result.

The problem arises when I try to do further adjustments on Adjusted A, which now sits on top of B. When I open phf from Adjusted A, the “background” layer becomes B instead of A. And all the further adjustments (as well as the previously adjustments) I make in phf would be made to B instead of A, and I therefore lose the double exposure effect.

So my question is, would it make more sense if phf saves the layer info in “Adjusted A” instead of reading from the layer below every time I opens it??

This is the way the plug-in works at the moment: each time it is re-run on an already created layer, it takes the input from the layer below. I can try to change this behaviour by storing the source layer ID, but it will take some time… in your case, would it be possible to put layer B on top of Adjusted A?

@Carmelo_DrRaw Thanks for your reply.

For my case, putting B above Adjusted A doesn’t work as I was using certain blending mode that works only with Adjusted A on top. My current workaround is to move A back under Adjusted A every time I want to edit Adjusted A. It’s not too much a hassle actually. Storing the source layer ID in phf sounds like a good solution though.