Copy exposure settings from another image

Hello,

I took a few photos with a lake as a background and I overexposed image. After I realized that, I changed the exposure time from 1/200 to 1/1600 and that gave me good images. I kept the same ISO of 800.

Thankfully all the images I took were taken raw. I need to make the images I took with exposure time 1/200 to look like as if they were taken with 1/1600 exposure time. Other details are the same.

How do I fix that?

If it’s overexposed by three stops, it’s unlikely you’re going to get the same result due to highlight clipping. Color propagation can only get you so far.

But if you want to do that regardless, just drop the exposure compensation on one of the 1/200 shots and copy the exposure settings from that one alone to the other 1/200 shots.

I tried that but it didn’t work as per my expectations. What do you mean by overexposed by three stops?

To change from 1/200 to 1/1600 that’s a three-stop difference in exposure, as long as the aperture and ISO don’t change.

If you find 1/1600 to have given a good result, then you will find 1/200 to be three stops overexposed and most of the time that causes irrecoverable amounts of highlight clipping when you try to apply three stops of negative exposure compensation in post-processing.

Can you post any examples?

Good
IMG_2132.CR2 (25.8 MB)

Bad
IMG_2126.CR2 (16.9 MB)

I think the bad file is a bit too over exposed to do anything with.

From the well exposed file, I would have: slow the shutter down another stop or two and use those stops to lower the ISO. With no movement, you should be OK just hand holding, so 1/125 should be plenty quick, if you were to play it safe.

Its sad that nothing can be done. Made the mistake and learnt the lesson. I might try photoshop to crop and modify the images.