cr2 files too dark in rawtherapee 5.8 ok in 5.6

I’m new here, but not inexperienced. After 53 years of photography and 37 years at the keyboard (on linux only last 4 years), I should be an expert… but this I can’t solve on my own.
I’m using RawTherapee since 2016, whichever version it was then. Few days ago the Ubuntu 20.04 came out and I got fresh everything, and RT went from 5.6 to 5.8. I see that many config files are fresh now and I don’t even know where the old files may have gone.
The 5.6 was crashing at times, effectively logging me out, but it worked. With 5.8, the images are just too dark, huge areas of them are at (0,0,0). Even those I already did with 5.6 and left sidecar files.
Tried all tricks with profiles, gamma/slope etc, tried reverting to 5.7, to no avail. Here’s how it looks.

Is it possible that nobody else had this problem?

Hi @Eugo! Could you please share one of your affected files + its corresponding pp3 sidecar file?

Here. Mind you, this was already perfectly rendered in 5.6, but the sidecar is new. So here are the cr2, and two sidecars - for this photo and for the next. I compared already, and I don’t see any significant difference between old and new sidecars.
E7024720-2020-05-05_14_55_32.CR2.pp3 (11.7 KB) E7024724-2020-05-05_18_56_46.CR2.pp3 (11.4 KB) E7024730-2020-05-05_22_19_56.CR2 (16.7 MB)

I see, this is actually a known problem specific to 5.8: Strange inverted colors when opening a raw file
If you use one of the more recent nightly builds, you should be able to see your files normally.

Thanks, it works!
The reason I didn’t find the other thread is its mention of “inverted colors” - well, they aren’t inverted. They were just too dark.

1 Like

Is this a bug that only affected .CR2 files? I also jumped straight from 5.6 to 5.8, but I shoot Fuji, and I didn’t run into this problem.

@Rick Yes, this bug only affected demosaiced mRAW and sRAW files, which are only available in a select few Canon cameras.

2 Likes

Hey @Thanatomanic, thank you for that information. I was having issues with a CR2 file and getting the same. I’m new to all of this, so if you could perhaps guide me as how to install the build RawTherapee_dev_5.8-447-g1fe03b298_20200601.exe. I am on a mac, and I am not able to open the folder. Is there something that I need to do with it specifically?

Anyone is welcome to chime in on this. Thanks guys.

It confused me too, for a minute, because I haven’t had experience with .AppImage files - but after a brief search I understood that it’s actually a self-contained executable (so all the libraries are included, doesn’t matter what build of the OS you have, it has its own). I guess a Mac shouldn’t be too different, so, in short:

• get the .AppImage file
  • put it where you want it
  • mark it as an executable (chmod +x or whichever method works on a Mac)
  • just run it
    Simple as that.

Hi, i noticed that this same error is still valid with RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2995-g166538d_20210614.AppImage version.

I noticed that Darktable (3.4.1) break in somehow .cr2 -files. After importing cr2 into Darktable (Ubuntu 20.04) Rawtherapee doesn’t handle correctly files (green photo) and Raw -tab includes only Raw White points and * Dark-Frame* options.

After removing Darktable, Rawtherapee open photo preview correctly, but Raw -tab doesn’t still have other raw development options.

Are you sure your file isn’t cRAW or sRAW?

I checked, it was mRAW. With Darktable 3.6.0 and RawTherapee development -version problem doesn’t occur.