Dark frames not working? (4.2.1148)

Hi, I’m trying to use dark frame subtraction but result is not as expected. If I select automatic dark frame selection it does find an appropriate dark frame, does some calculations but no result at all. Not one pixel is touched.

If I however select the same dark frame manually the result is that most of the picture is wiped out, left are some highlights but they are EXTREMELY noisy in all kind of colors. The picture is not even recognizablel.

This is using windows 7, build 4.2.1148 64bits. dng raw files for both light frame and dark frame. Camera model Pentax K-1

Any hints on what is going on? Is there something else I should have done?

Yes, upload some files to filebin.net to allow us reproducing the issue.

Ingo

Ok thanks, (first time I ever heard about filebin.net, but here goes).
Two dng files uploaded, they are not perfect matches with regard to iso and shutter time, but still close enough for preliminary tests I hope.

https://filebin.net/zcbj87iipxjsv7ov

@Gimbal picture.DNG is shot at ~120 seconds exposure time using iso 1600 whereas darkframe.dng is shot at ~120 seconds exposure time using iso 3200. The aperture does not matter because usually you put a cap in front of the lens for the darkframe shot. Please try with a darkframe shot with iso and exposure time matching the shot you want to apply it to.

Ingo

I confirm that the Auto-selection of Dark-Frame selects your darkframe.DNG but does not apply it.
I’ll have a look at this.

Ingo

I made a new dark frame, 120s iso 1600 but no visible difference in result as compared with the iso3200 dark frame. Which is kind of expected as there is only a minor difference in noise, not a total wipe out kind of difference. I also updated the filebin with the new darkframe.

And thanks for looking into it.

@Gimbal Can you upload the new darkframe shot please?

Silly me. Didn’t read your comment correctly. Downloading the new darkframe shot now.

Ingo

@Gimbal I confirm the Issue with the new darkframe shot. I’ll have a look!

@heckflosse Hi there, did you get anywhere or found the bug?

Thanks for the reminder. I just started looking at it again :slight_smile: It will be solved in rt 5

@Dusan_Maliarik Good news. I found the bug. It’s related to your camera being reported as ‘PENTAX K-1’ at one place in rt source and as ‘RICOH PENTAX K-1’ at another place. I already fixed it locally but I have to make some additional tests before I push it to master branch.

Fixed in master branch

@heckflosse ah, snake-case issues :wink: thanks for prompt response, any idea when this will be released? (tagged in git?)

It will be released with RT 5

Ah, good news. Well done.
So, now all we have to do is wait for RT5.