Dark theme in discuss

I was actually reading replies on this thread and the logo went from dark to light before my eyes as the page auto-refreshed. Cool coincidence. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The logo doesnā€™t size properly on ff mobile :wink: @patdavid

I was just messing with it to get it working right. It should with a fresh load? (otherwise, screengrab if you get a moment).

Oh there it is! Nice

1 Like

I like the dark theme, but the color/brightness difference between the caught-up and unread threads text in the list is very slightā€”hard for me to distinguish.

The dark theme is very influx, Iā€™ll try and do a bit better :slight_smile:

What does everyone think of this version of the dark theme? The only thing I think I donā€™t like is the reply button color.

1 Like

I agree, the bottom reply button is the one thing that looks wonky with this version, and the problem is that its background is too light in color. For my personal taste, the page background could be a little darker than #484848 or #545454 (depending on the part of the page you look at), but itā€™s exactly that: personal taste. This is pretty easy on the eyes other than that one button. I could look at this for an extended period of time without getting tired eyes, and thatā€™s the whole point, isnā€™t it? :+1:

@elGordo beat me to the reply. I am a slow poster :slight_smile:.

I havenā€™t kept the dark theme on for extended use but I think it still needs some tweaking.

Remarks (What I am noticing as I write this post.)

1. The Reply (box) button is not as consistent and polished as the white themeā€™s.
    a. It is grey scale; could use some color.
    b. It darkens on hover rather than lighten like Bookmark, etc.
    c. Text vs background contrast could be higher.

BTW, the Tracking buttonā€™s circle disappears on hover and could also use some color.

2. The usernames could be brighter. In the white theme, it is brighter than the name and has greater contrast against the background.

PS

1. I forgot to mention that it might be nice for guests to be able change the theme as well without registering or logging in.

Thank you for your replies! I did this in about 15 minutes, so it still needs some tweaking, yes. Iā€™m going to use it for a little while and see what else comes to me.

Also, we can have multiple themes. Discourse donā€™t expose theme editing to non-administrative users so far as I know, but Iā€™d be happy to upload and name themes that people come up with.

Part of the look of this is certainly due to my love of the zenburn theme. Iā€™ve tried to move away from this theme several times, but it is like glued into my brain. It isnā€™t the darkest, but it is sufficient and I find the contrast to be very pleasing and readable. Zenburn doesnā€™t tire my eyes like other themes seem to do.

The theme is just a handful of colors for the base (named as @darix suggested :wink:):

"fifty shades of gray": {
  "primary": "F0F0F0",
  "secondary": "484848",
  "tertiary": "c0c0c0",
  "quaternary": "f0f0f0",
  "header_background": "252525",
  "header_primary": "f0f0f0",
  "highlight": "303030",
  "danger": "e99f9f",
  "success": "b2e8c7",
  "love": "d22e54"
}

I havenā€™t really moved beyond this yet. Iā€™d welcome any additions that make sense to this color scheme as well.

Noted, Iā€™ll try and look into this in the future. Thank you.

I noticed this earlier tonight too. Iā€™ll have a look into it as well.

This would need to happen upstream in Discourse; there isnā€™t much I can do about it, I donā€™t have the necessary skill.

Not a bad theme at all. Itā€™s pretty similar in terms of contrast to the ā€œBase 16 Tomorrow Darkā€ theme I use in Atom, although that uses different colors for different parts of syntax).

Sounds fun. How would one create a theme and test it without being an admin?

Find the colors listed above and use your browserā€™s dev tools to change them.

Firefox doesnā€™t appear to have a CSS editor where I can search and replace. (The current version also stalls randomly :cry:.) Any suggestions?

Interesting tidbit is that the forum appears to have 132 unique colors, including the ones with transparency. That is a lot of colors! :smile::sweat_smile:

In Firefox, right click in the page and select Inspect Element. Youā€™ll see the CSS box in the lower right side. You can edit rules from there.

Arise from the dead!

I realized that I had been using the default dark theme over on meta.discourse.org and figured Iā€™d go ahead and set up the same here. So here it is:

3 Likes