darktable 2.0

![](upload://kkbLRG2T8MWf58sGc9JTwJJDf8g.jpeg)

darktable 2.0

An awesome present for the end of 2015!

Sneaking a release out on Christmas Eve, the darktable team have announced their feature release of darktable 2.0! After quite a few months of Release Candidates the 2.0 is finally here. Please join me in saying Congratulations and a hearty Thank You! for all of their work bringing this release to us.

Alex Prokoudine of Libre Graphics World has a more in-depth look at the release including a nice interview with part of the team: Johannes Hanika, Tobias Ellinghaus, Roman Lebedev, and Jeremy Rosen. My favorite tidbit from the interview:

There is a lot less planning involved than many might think.

— Tobias Ellinghaus

Robert Hutton has taken the time to produce a video covering the new features and other changes between 1.6 and 2.0 as well:

A high-level look at the changes and improvements from the release post on the darktable site:

gui:

• darktable has been ported to gtk-3.0
  • the viewport in darkroom mode is now dynamically sized, you specify the border width
  • side panels now default to a width of 350px in dt 2.0 instead of 300px in dt 1.6
  • further hidpi enhancements
  • navigating lighttable with arrow keys and space/enter
  • brush size/hardness/opacity have key accels
  • allow adding tone- and basecurve nodes with ctrl-click
  • the facebook login procedure is a little different now
  • image information now supports gps altitude

features:

• new print mode
  • reworked screen color management (softproof, gamut check etc.)
  • delete/trash feature
  • pdf export
  • export can upscale
  • new “mode” parameter in the export panel to fine tune application of styles upon export

core improvements:

• new thumbnail cache replaces mipmap cache (much improved speed, stability and seamless support for even up to 4K/5K screens)
  • all thumbnails are now properly fully color-managed
  • it is now possible to generate thumbnails for all images in the library using new darktable-generate-cache tool
  • we no longer drop history entries above the selected one when leaving darkroom mode or switching images
  • high quality export now downsamples before watermark and framing to guarantee consistent results
  • optimizations to loading jpeg’s when using libjpeg-turbo with its custom features
  • asynchronous camera and printer detection, prevents deadlocks in some cases
  • noiseprofiles are in external JSON file now
  • aspect ratios for crop&rotate can be added to config file

image operations:

• color reconstruction module
  • magic lantern-style deflicker was added to the exposure module (extremely useful for timelapses)
  • text watermarks
  • shadows&highlights: add option for white point adjustment
  • more proper Kelvin temperature, fine-tuning preset interpolation in white balance iop
  • monochrome raw demosaicing (for cameras with color filter array physically removed)
  • raw black/white point module

packaging:

• removed dependency on libraw
  • removed dependency on libsquish (solves patent issues as a side effect)
  • unbundled pugixml, osm-gps-map and colord-gtk

generic:

• 32-bit support is soft-deprecated due to limited virtual address space
  • support for building with gcc earlier than 4.8 is soft-deprecated
  • numerous memory leaks were exterminated
  • overall stability enhancements

scripting:

• lua scripts can now add UI elements to the lighttable view (buttons, sliders etc…)
  • a new repository for external lua scripts was started: https://github.com/darktable-org/lua-scripts
  • it is now possible to edit the collection filters via lua
  • it is now possible to add new cropping guides via lua
  • it is now possible to run background tasks in lua
  • a lua event is generated when the mouse under the cursor changes

The source is available now as well as a .dmg for OS X.
Various Linux distro builds are either already available or will be soon!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://pixls.us/blog/2015/12/darktable-2-0/
3 Likes

Hello, I installed Darkroom v2.0 today via a ppa from Pascal de Bruijn on Xubuntu 15.10. It works as usual, but the interface is not pleasant anymore: the normal dark grey theme for the background, but an eyes-hurting clear blue as background for active topics.
I read before that Xubuntu 15.10 does not support gtk3 yet, so is this the core of this problem? Otherwise stated, should I wait until Xubuntu supports gtk3 or is it better to switch to another Linux?

Regards, Paul.

Could you take a screen shot and show us what it looks like? There shouldn’t be any blue in the GUI.

I would say there is some blue in there… This is on Xubuntu 15.10. On Xubuntu 15.04 the GUI is okay (so blueless).

That does look fairly offensive. Did you try changing the GTK theme? It looks like some things are a bit odd in the theme you (I guess Xubuntu) are using which is clashing with darktable.

Found it, it was me who switched something on and forgot to switch it off. The first switch in the screenshot below was turned ON, that says Highlight background with this color - blue indeed!

Now DT looks normal again. Thanks for your time.

Just to keep you informed, we released darktable 2.0.1. You can see the release notes and grab the tarballs + DMG on GitHub.