Darktable 2.4.4 - No "scan for devices" button

I have a new notebook (Acer Aspire E5) with Xubuntu 18.04. I have installed Darktable 2.4.4 (in Spanish) and found out that there is no “scan for devices” button in Import panel, only “Image” and “folder”. It’s very odd for me…
In my old notebook I had 2.0 version and used it without a problem.

I can’t find anything about this in the Internet. Someone can help me with this? Thank you in advance!

Are you using a PPA, package manager, snap, or flatpak?

Hi Mica,

I think I installed it by snap. It is in Snap folder indeed. Would you suggest install it in another way?
Thank you!

Hi @Gusbatero,

The snap package is the one I’m least familiar with, but my guess is that it doesn’t have the gphoto2 library included, which is what is used for camera control.

In looking at the snap source file, they’ve removed gphoto2 for now since camera detection doesn’t work. I assume it is some sort of snap confinement issue. If you need tethering, I’d suggest using the PPA.

OK @papedigits. I will give a try to PPA and see if it works. I will let you know.

Many many thanks from Argentina!!!

Solved!!!

You were right @paperdigits. I have uninstalled it with Snap (I had to find out how to do it :slight_smile: ) and installed it with PPA and now it has the missing button.
Also, with the other installation I couldn’t put my own watermarks, because there wasn’t a watermark folder in /user/share/darktable folder. Now I can use them.

Hope this help to another users with the same problems.

Thank you very much!!!

The snap (and flatpak) put these in their own directory structure. I’m not sure where the snap folder is… but the flatpak is at ~/.var/.

As I recall, there was a Snap folder but it wasn’t editable, neither with root permission.