darktable 3.0 masking inconsistencies & bugs

Only one more from me: There seems to be some additional rotation added to gradient masks when placed. For example, if I create a new gradient mask it starts off completely horizontal. When I click to place the mask it always seems to rotate a few degrees clockwise. This happens both when the shape is initially placed and also if its placement is subsequently adjusted.

2 Likes

As is described in this issue?

1 Like

Yes indeed. Thanks @Jade_NL. On first glance it looks like an issue with lens correction - it goes away if I switch the lens correction module off.

1 Like

@elstoc: Just retested some things on my side and it looks like this masking issue is lens correction related in some way.

1 Like

Not only lens correction ! Observing same issue without any lens correction but using crop and rotate with keystone = vertical together with contrast brightness saturation with gradient mask.

Yep it doesā€¦

@pehar: Can you please add this information to the above mentioned github (#4401) issue.

1 Like

Sorry, not possible. Github forces me to create an account and I donā€™t agree with their (huge and complicated) privacy statements.

Iā€™ve added a note to the issue linking to this discussion

I had a hunch and did some more testing: There are (at least) 2 more modules that show this behaviour: perspective correction and liquify

Iā€™ve added them to the github issue (with what I think all these have in common).

2 Likes

The only use case that comes to mind is to use a drawn mask to limit the effect to a given area, but I would also use exposure for that use case.