darktable 3.0

I assume the new Basic Adjustments module works in LAB color space, where filmic rgb, tone equalizer, and color balance work in linear rgb. Putting the basic adjusents module before the other three will cause the three to misbehave.

1 Like

That’s it. And that’s also because basic adjustements has options that are in the same module (so same step in pipe) instead of different steps of the pipe with other modules. That could make some colors issues, depending on what you use them.

And some sliders have quite near options between some modules, always depending on when you use it, but not in same pipe step.

1 Like

Thanks - I get the idea …

I built and installed DT3 on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 19.10 on my dual boot PC.
I noticed initially that the Linux version was snappier, while the Windows one was a bit sluggish.
Then I tried to remove the dartablerc on Windows (which was a leftover from DT 2.6 and earlier) and boom! Now the Windows version feel is equally responsive.
The funny thing is that the OpenCL settings were the same, so I don’t know what was causing the slowdown.
I suggest to anyone installing DT 3 to do the same. It takes 10 minutes to reconfigure the preferences, but it’s worth the effort.

So after a bit of an adventure in order to make a local build of 3.1.0, I worked on a duplicate folder with the same RAW files I’d already treated with the “old” base-curve + tone-curve approach (but happily with the channel mixer moved upstream into the linear scene-referred world, thanks for the change :slight_smile: )

One image came out exactly as I wanted without turning on the tone curve… it was equally easy to get with filmic RGB.

The second was a bit more challenging. The standard base curve & filmic RGB both gave the same result again (so I guess this is a small win for filmic RGB since I had to pfaff about quite a bit while setting up the base curve). The fine tuning was … different. still without cross checking, the two images were very close.

One thing that made the tone equaliser awkward was that the histagram is quite narrow relative to the position of the knots: in the tone curve, if I’ve been sensible in using exposure and base curve to achieve the same ends as filmic RGB, I have a full width histogram… which I can expand at the left by going to the log(input) view. So, more awkward using tone equaliser, even though by default it’s logarithmic in the input values (a Good Thing).

Question then: would it be possible to have an adjustable scale for the abscissa, so there is no distraction by knots* that are acting on vanishingly low levels of the histogram?

Images attached…
_IMG3212|690x458

There is one already:

mask exposure compensation centers the histogram where you want it, mask contrast compensation spread it as much as you want it, the colour pickers on the right automatically center it on -4EV and spread its first and last deciles between [-7; -1] EV.

3 Likes

darktable-3.0.0.tar.* are not binaries for linux, instead it contains the source code. And whenever I tried to build, there is always some missing dependency. That’s why I am searching for pre-built binaries.

Thanks a lot for this link. I was missing some dependencies. I got these from this page and able to build DT 3.1.

Bear with me guys, I know this is just a basic screen. But after some struggle, I am able to build DT 3.1.x and just wanted to share my first screen.
Actually, I’m in love with DT… :):smiling_face_with_three_hearts::innocent:

6 Likes

Hi everyone, i’m new here and Darktable looks awsome but i have just a simple question with this new release, can DT3 read CR3 raw files from Canon camera ?
Thanks

You need to convert CR3 to DNG for importing them to darktable because Canon does not publish information on how to read their format.

Ok, thank you.
So I have to convert all my files … It’s what i expected…

Any updates on the 3.0.1 release?

It’s drafted: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/tag/untagged-45ae932a9fab665f6e16

Almost there.

3 Likes

Link is broken

Will there be an article like this for V3.2?
I wonder if I should save some spare time for translation in August :thinking:

Should be one. We begin it in french by now. I lack of time, especially because of good weather. But I’m not alone to write it. As soon as it’s ready and as soon as possible, translation in english will be made.

1 Like

@bilddateien: are you on darktable-dev mailing list or not? Just to know where I will inform you when the 3.2 article will be ready to translate. The french version is almost ready (big work done today) so should be finish quite soon. I hope to begin, and if possible finish translation at the end of the month as I will have too few time available in august.

yes

will this be available somewhere? I’m not good at French but to get an impression and begin translating it would be fine. I’d proof-read this preliminary translation against the english version then.