Darktable 3.4.0 Windows 64 bit crashes on startup

So it does start the first time and run?

Only once after a Windows start, yes.

And by the way, that last crash (of Darktable 3.2.1) even happens without a darktable appdata folder, it seems to have nothing to do with database conversion.

The trace back file you supplied shows darktable crashing on a string compare in the luarc file. But, if it ran correctly once, why is it crashing on the second run? And the fact that it runs correctly after a reboot says the file is OK.

I don’t really have a way to troubleshoot this. I run Win7 in a VM for testing and don’t have access to Win10.

I wonder what changes between runs. Can you try disabling any antivirus/protection software and see if you can get two runs without a crash. You can disconnect your computer from any networks, if you are concerned about threats, since darktable doesn’t require a network interface to run.

1 Like

Yes, definitely! I only use the original built-in Windows Defender and switching its real time protection off made multiple starts possible! For the moment I made an exclusion for the darktable.exe.

And now I updated from 3.2.1 to 3.4.0 and still have no crashes on startup, thanks to the exclusion. There seems to be a conflict with the Windows virus scanner, indeed.

3 Likes