Darktable 3.8.1. runs on the second monitor instead of the main monitor

Unlike the previous versions (for example 3.8.0.) DT 3.8.1. runs on the second monitor that is defined in Windows settings. The main display is larger with higher resolution. So, I have to move DT window each time from second display to the first display.

My operating system is Windows 8.1. Until now this has not been an issue with the older DT versions. I will be pleased to hear any hint how to change this.

Best regards,
Mustafa

Just curious why are you using v 8.1 of WIndows. It may be the issue or it may not but I can’t think of a good reason at this point to be using 8.1???

FWIW, I’m seeing the same thing basically, on Windows 11, latest release, fully patched.

If I restore (normalize / free floating window) darktable, move it to the primary monitor and then without maximizing shut it down, it’ll start back up normalized on the primary monitor. I can then maximize. But if I shut it down maximized, it starts on the secondary monitor as defined in Windows (which is my laptop’s attached display).

This wasn’t happening before and I’ve also upgraded to 3.8.1. Whether or not it started precisely after the upgrade, I can’t say. Best I can recall, it started after I disconnected the laptop from its dock (including external / primary monitor) and then used darktable on the panel. After reconnecting, I’ve been unable to get darktable to start maximized on the external / primary monitor.

It’s the only app where I’ve had this issue.

I am pleased that the problem has been observed not only by me. I do not think it depends on Win 8.1.

Thank you, Len! I tried the measure you suggested, but it did not help in my case. No matter, maximized or free floating windows DT 3.8.1 always lands in secondary monitor.

I guess it is a bug crept in version 3.8.1.

Off-topic but :

• it’s last windows where you have updates under control. It won’t interrupt your work or force updates.
  • this allows you also to avoid spying, telemetry updates
  • lighter on resources → more performance

And also don’t forget darktable produces wrong colors on secondary monitor since 3.0

@lphilpot he started an issue in GitHub. Can you add to it your experience?

I guess, I solved the problem at least on my PC.

I edited Windows shortcut “darktable” to execute DT by right click on Features (Eigenschaften in German) and under the register “Shortcut (Verknüpfung)” I selected execute minimized instead of “normal window (normales Fenster)”. Thereafter DT 3.8.1. starts on the primary screen.

Since I use German version of Windows I do not know exact wording for the settings and options.

That solution seems to be related to the suggestion by Len Philpot (normalize/maximize window).

This try-and-error solution may be useful to identify the origin of the bug.

All things you can fix or control…either on your own or using a tool offered by Chris Titus…

Sure. I’ll look for the issue a bit later today when I have time.

I initially was ready to lay this issue at the feet of the OS / window manager (dwm.exe in Windows, IIRC) instead of darktable since that’s what manages window placement and state. But only darktable is doing it, so there must be some kind of connection.

It still won’t give you same level of control and also the script seems to rely on closed source 3rd party tool. That’s a no from me.

His tool does nothing that you cannot do yourself and it comes in a GUI or powershell scripts that you can use but you don’t need to do that either…I have gone through all the windows 10 settings a number of times and you can pretty much configure and disable everything…besides that 8.1 will open you to ransomware and other legacy issues that are not updated…but hey stay back there if you like I really just dont see the benefit…

Not exactly, you can set it, but it won’t help you, you can’t e.g. avoid the telemetry below certain level, even if you set it as disabled.

But also you can see in the script what is there:

Surprise?

Nonsense. Just apply those updates man.

It’s off topic so let’s not debate…I had two devices one on 8 later updated to 8.1 and one on 8.1. They crashed often… 7 was solid and win10 has been rock solid as well. I don’t actually use that script it was just an example of what is possible. Glad you dug deeper. I would only use registry edits or scripts if I was sure what they did. I use a cell phone so my PC OS is the least of my worries

Yes quite off topic. I did use that script before oosu was added, not really solution for all these concerns. But contrary to your experience, i didn’t saw more issues on 8.1 than on 10 or 11.

One other detail, just a data point. If I close dt when maximized on the external (correct) monitor and restart it, it does in fact initially start on the correct monitor. There’s a title bar and a maximized white window. But then it flops back to the other monitor, all the controls populate, etc.

FWIW.

I’m experiencing the same problem since 3.8.1 on Win 10. My monitor setup is slightly different. I have 4 displays, one Samsung 4K TV and three Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitors. The order I have them in is TV, Dell, Dell, Dell corresponding to 4, 3, 2, 1 in the display settings. Display 2 is set as the main display. When I launch darktable the white box initially shows up on display 2 but then darktable opens on display 4. When I use the win+shift+right arrow to move dark table over to my main monitor it should take two uses of that key combination to make it to my main monitor (display 4 → display 3 → display 2). However for some reason it only takes one press to make it to my main monitor. If I then minimize darktable by clicking on the icon on my taskbar and then clicking on the icon again it maximizes on display 3. Once again I use win+shift+right arrow to move it to my main monitor. After doing this it stays on my main monitor when minimizing/maximizing until of course I quit darktable and re-open it.

This behaviour only began since updating to 3.8.1

I did a quick check in the PRs for 3.8.1 and I dont see any DT code changes that can explain this change. I dont have a second monitor to test with.

@wpferguson any thoughts?

Thank you for your response and confirmation that similar malfunction occurs on Win 10, too.

As I wrote and explained above, have you tried as a temporary solution to execute the shortcut “darktable” in a minimized window as shown in the figure for Win 8.1? Sorry for the language German.

Just tried this now and it works. It actually starts maximized on my main monitor despite the configuration option being called “minimized”. Nice workaround for the time being, thanks.

I did notice that it always starts on main monitor with this setting despite moving it to other monitors and closing darktable. It does not re-open on the last window it was closed on like other applications do. This is not a problem for me personally because I always use darktable on my main monitor but it may be a problem for other users.