Darktable 4.2 crashes on start-up

Hi
Hope you can help.
I have used Darktable for a long time with out problems. Yesterday, when I tried to start Darktable, it started up and “working” appears on the screen. After 2-3 seconds it shuts down without any message. I have tried to unistall darktable and install it again, but the same happens.
It runs on Win 10.
Do you have any ideas, what happened?
Thank you in advance.

We don’t and can’t know what happened in your machine.

There are many many posts here that detail how to start darktable from the terminal and generate some output that would help us help you. Please use the search capability of the forum.

One of many things you can try is rename this folder:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\darktable

This is where all the dt config info is stored, and also your library.
It’s a hidden folder on Win so you have to either enable seeing hidden files or I think copy pasting the address directly might work too.
If this makes it start, it would indicate an issue with your settings, data base, or even with a file in your system.
Have installed any other versions of dt or any other software recently?

Sometimes crashes occur when when OpenCL support is selected in processing preferences and your computer is not compatible with this feature. If the problem is that simple it is easy to fix by unticking activate OpenCL support. Worth trying.

darktable-log.txt (526.9 KB)
Hi Steven
Thank you for your reply.
I renamed the folder and then DT runs again.
I don’t know if it makes sense to spend more time on the issue, but I attached the log-file.
I didn’t install any other software recently.

1 Like

Hi Terry
Thank you for your reply.
I tried to run DT without OpenCl from the cmd, but it still crashes.

Thanks Torben.
Yes, if you don’t mind re-importing you images and so on (might not be an issue at all depending on how you use dt) it might not be worth the bother of trying to track it down. I’m not very well up in troubleshooting, but I had a look at the log (thanks!) , and the last entry is

Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 "Access violation"...

Anyone know what this implies? Something to do with imagemagick apparently

I have this same problem and have a theory that it has something to do with one of the last three Windows updates (major and not so major). Darktable 4.2. works perfectly fine with my boyfriend’s computer (which he never updates) but after I recently updated my own, it started to do this nonstop. It can’t be about the machinery either, because I have better hardware.

If someone has suggestions how to fix this, I’m all ears.

1 Like

Interesting. Maybe compiling 4.2 in an updated msys2 might aid in troubleshooting.

Are you willing to try a nightly build or the weekly?

1 Like

Hi g-man
Sorry for the late reply.
I am willing to try one of the builds you suggest. Where do I find it and how to?

Hi, Has your problem been solved yet?

Well, not really. But the problem has slowed down since the last minor updates from Windows. I can work longer before Darktable crashes.