darktable and LR/Fast Raw Viewer XMP Files

Yes, FRV part - as of today - is Adobe-based, published and can be re-used. RPP needs it own metadata format support, this is done. If I am not wrong, the FRV guys can do more from their side if the DTfW XMP-related details will be shared.

Can I somehow find them? Who knows?

You know better!
Darktable for Windows is a bit longer to write out, you see. :wink:

I think you can just call it “darktable.”

As indicated, @houz is just grumpy. :wink:

3 Likes

But not an old man :slight_smile:

1 Like

After all, DTfW is a funny single-click easy to use tool for your photos to share and publish, well, with a single click. More easy to use presets will be added in the near future. Follow DTfW on FaceBook!

A single-click easy to use tool (whatever it means) always sounds great! Many thanks in advance!
Just do not forget to find this magic button to click on and immeditately make my poor Raw files absolutely perfect.
Can you please be more specific about XMP? I am wondering if I can better use darktable together with what I have already collected.

I was actually only teasing @houz, thinking about not-so-old discussions about making an official darktable for Windows. Now there it is, unofficially, available. Besides, quite advanced presets can be made as starting points for different camera-lens-circumstances combinations. I wonder, what will happen, this tool is better than many commercial programs.

2 Likes

I’ve been at the hairdresser this morning. What I saw on the floor indicated that I am old indeed … :mage:

Be grateful you still have a need for a hairdresser!

2 Likes

We all can probably save some time if you can share more about XMP in darktable (or provide with the link if available). Then I will prepare a couple of test files in FRV to see how it will be processed. Not sure that I can call it a bug - if something is simply not supported due to any good reason.

It disappears or it becomes grey. (Then white.) (Usually both, disappears and becomes white.)

Mica’s answer to your question is (still) correct
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/xmp-sidecar-files/1423/19?u=lebedevri
If some other software Y uses the exact same XMP scheme/tags/whatever as the lightroom, then you could use darktable’s rudimentary lr importer to partially mimic some of lr settings. And i do mean it, the conversion is not and never will be 1:1. Otherwise, no luck.

Thanks! Still something to play with. Even if 1:1 conversion is not possible, but some of the settings (if converted correctly) can be re-used - not bad!

Darktable and its sidecar files: is it documented?

@hobo Please start a new thread and provide us a sample raw and FRV xmp.

I have consolidated the cross-posts all based around the same question from @hobo (please don’t cross-post) into this thread, which is more on-topic and won’t veer other threads too far off-topic.

1 Like

Fantastic! Many thanks!

Comment : give a chance xnview MP : it is fast viewing RAWs and brings some interesting features like bulk renaming, tagging, rating… A good complement of RT in a photo workflow
It is a free software available to all OS (you may want to move to Linux one day like I did after 15 years of MacOS ;-))

I have and use xnview MP. Can you use its output as darktable input? What is supported?

No sorry, misunderstanding from my side. The sentence was simply related to the XMP tags mention