Darktable does not show new photos + SOLVED

Apparently DT does not show photos that have been added to a folder known to DT’s database outside of DT - like via Rapid Photo Downloader for example. Why is that and what to do about it?

Same issue like described here some years ago: https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/9730

That’s because I didn’t assign that a priority high enough for having it fixed yet. Or see if runtimes were too bad.

Well, as long as people do use other apps (because they have to) to deal with files from various sources (mobile, CF, SD, downloads …) this will remain a hindrance to use DT (alone). Especially: As replacement for LR (like in my case).

You can just import the folder again. dt will add new files to its library while keeping the ones it already knows.

Nope. Sorry. I have imported some files from my mobile yesterday to my server - via Rapid Photo Downloader, as it can handle photos and videos separately. Alas the new photos do NOT show up in DT after reimporting the given folder.

If you are importing jpeg files, make sure they are not ignored in the import options.

Also make sure that after re-importing, you re-adjust the collect module so that

• the query would actually collect these images
  • just in case, maybe it did not auto-recollect after import

Yes, that seems to be the case. Although I activate the respective startup-option.
Will try again tomorrow.

They aren’t.

@klikkk perhaps there’s a mixup of terminology going on. You need to re-import the Rapid photo downloader destination folder into Darktable. If you make any changes to files and folders on your harddrive using tools other than Darktable you need to re-import those folders into Darktable, using the import tools to the left hand side of the Lighttable mode, to “see” the changes.

This is - basically - true, but I finally solved the problem by using the purge-script from the darktable-toolbox, by deleting the local secondary cache and by using darktable-generate-cache that is coming with DT. That problem was probably related to the other issue I had, caused by using the crawler at startup. Somehow the library got fucked up.
But I think it is safe to mark this problem as solved.