darktable emphesizing fog

I have some images with low lying fog and mountains in the distance. I would like suggestions on how to bring out the fog. I did increase contrast and local contrast and that helped, but I don’t want to lose all the softness in the image. What caught my eye when taking the photograph was the clearing sky, and the fog below.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Use a mask and darken things around the fog.

I’ll try that. You got me thinking:
Maybe also use a mask, increase the exposure or the contrast of the fog?? or use a mask and use Diffuse or Sharpen to soften it a bit more??

Yeah you should try all those things.

1 Like

Contrast equalizer may achieve similar effects in this regard (lowering the right/high frz part of the curve)

It might be worth sharing an image in the playraw category to see the many varied approaches people would have to this issue.

I like a trick I learnt from one of @s7habo 's videos, to use an instance of the diffuse and sharpen module set to the ‘bloom’ preset, then set a uniform mask and change the blending mode to multiply. Fiddle with the blending controls, opacity. It gives a very nice slightly glowing contrast. No idea if this suits your image though!

1 Like

thanks for the suggestion. I just did this, or at least tried to.