darktable has spread itself to the right and off the screen

Running darktable on Arch Linux, all regularly updated. I have it on both my PC and laptop. The laptop instance is fine. But for the last, I think 3 but maybe 2, updates in darktable 3 the screen expanded left and right, and contracted height. The height is adjustable but the width was stuck, making it very difficult to work with.

It seems the right column (of 3) suddenly became much wider after an update. Since then it has got worse, crashing often and being unresponsive, sometimes switching itself from lighttable screen to “culling”? something I have not come across before, and sometimes to “slideshow” where it hangs and has to be forcibly restarted.

I have just reinstalled darktable. That has not altered its behaviour.

Any ideas, please folks? A permanent solution would be ideal but if I can just get some images processed for now that would be a great help.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike

Remove your preferences file in~/.config/darktable

Thanks @paperdigits but thre is no preferences file in there. The only directory is watermarks:
~]$ ls .config/darktable/
darktablerc data.db-pre-3.0.2 library.db watermarks
data.db keyboardrc library.db-pre-3.0.0
data.db-pre-3.0.0 keyboardrc_default library.db-pre-3.0.2

I ran the same command with -la and there are no hidden files in there apart from the usual . and …

The preferences file is darktablerc

Thanks @elstoc @paperdigits I deleted the file darktablerc. After a lot of trying to move things and using the resize option (which only works on height, not on width) I managed to get it so that if I keep one sidebar hidden the viewing window and the other sidebar are on the screen and useable. So a good start with some improvement.

What is the screen resolution? AFAIK, less than 1920x1080 is going to be a struggle.

@mike: if you are on a resolution less than 1920x1080, better than removing a panel, just reduce size of left and right panels (remember than now panels are resizable). darktable keep a minimal width for the image, so when panels are on default size, you can’t reduce size more than sizes set.

You’ve nailed it, @paperdigits. Sincere thanks. The PC’s screen can only go to 1366x768, which it is on. Checked the laptop for comparison as it works fine, 1920x1080. So I need a new screen for the PC.

@Nilvus I thought of doing that but couldn’t find where to set it. I seem to remember it was in the global settings drop down but can’t see it there any more. Again, tried the laptop for comparison and it’s not there either. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Logically, it would have been in the preferences file which I deleted. But nothing deleted on the laptop so that doesn’t stand up.

You can resize left and right panels by clicking and dragging with your mouse.

Terrific. I tried that several times but it didn’t work. Reading your post, I realised I’d been trying to drag the outer edges. Trying it with the inner edges works perfectly.

Thanks @elstoc. Problem solved. :smile:

1 Like