darktable master builds failed on ubuntu 22.10 and that hasnt be fixed. now it fails for 4.2.0 as well

any help welcome.

build log: Build Log for Package darktable (Project graphics:darktable) - openSUSE Build Service

No idea, cannot see the error in the log. We have some errors for testing available failure, those are expected…

better link for the log https://build.opensuse.org/public/build/graphics:darktable/xUbuntu_22.10/x86_64/darktable/_log

But again I still don’t see darktable config/build being started. Looks like some prepare step of the VM env failing to me.

[  168s] CMake Error at /usr/lib/llvm-15/lib/cmake/llvm/LLVMExports.cmake:1634 (message):
[  169s]   The imported target "mlir-tblgen" references the file
[  169s] 
[  169s]      "/usr/lib/llvm-15/bin/mlir-tblgen"
[  169s] 
[  169s]   but this file does not exist.  Possible reasons include:
[  169s] 
[  169s]   * The file was deleted, renamed, or moved to another location.
[  169s] 
[  169s]   * An install or uninstall procedure did not complete successfully.
[  169s] 
[  169s]   * The installation package was faulty and contained
[  169s] 
[  169s]      "/usr/lib/llvm-15/lib/cmake/llvm/LLVMExports.cmake"
[  169s] 
[  169s]   but not all the files it references.
[  169s] 
[  169s] Call Stack (most recent call first):
[  169s]   /usr/lib/llvm-15/cmake/LLVMConfig.cmake:328 (include)
[  169s]   CMakeLists.txt:321 (find_package)
[  169s] 
[  169s] 
[  169s] -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

That’s not darktable directly, this looks like an issue with LLVM installation to me. No?

1 Like

I am not an ubuntu user. so some dev on ubuntu should step up and tell us why it happens.

1 Like

Agreed, I’m neither using Ubuntu.

yep, I’ve faced that too. In fact 22.10 require some new packages to be installed. I guess that llvm lib doesn’t include them by default on this version…
for the error, the missing package seems mlir-15-tools

iirc, you’ll have another error after that because of another missing package (but I don’t remember which one… sorry)

don’t hesitate to report here further error…

to me it smells like a missing requires in a llvm package?

you may be right… but tbh I know nothing about the packaging here… In fact I’ve not idea of what that package is doing (I should have searched, but was too lazy…)
What I’ve done is just a search : “I need that file. Which package provide it”

Hmm, I’m running (K)ubuntu 22.10 and building off Git master with no errors. I’ve been doing so since at least 20.04, and have only seen a few build issues over the years. I don’t know what may be the difference, but I can report on installed packages if you have specific questions.

Edit: I should add that my CMakeCache.txt file has the following:

//The directory containing a CMake configuration file for LLVM.
LLVM_DIR:PATH=/usr/lib/llvm-11/cmake
1 Like

anyone here can open an ubuntu bug and ask if llvm-dev shouldnt still pull the mlir tools?

I was able to compile on 22.10 by installing
llvm-15-dev mlir-15-tools libmlir-15-dev clang-tools intltool python3-jsonschema xsltproc libsaxon-java libxml2-utils libimage-exiftool-perl libpugixml-dev
as well as the dependencies listed here: Building darktable · darktable-org/darktable Wiki · GitHub

Probably went overkill but it’s compiling now.

My guess would be that the dependency is only needed for certain use cases, and there are situations where llvm is useful without the dependency.

It also looks like older versions of llvm are still supported, and can exist in parallel, hence why people who have done system upgrades might not see this. I’m still on 22.04 out of laziness.