Darktable not starting properly

Just shows the shell and chrashes

try running it from the command line…

C:\ ProgramFiles\darktable\bin\darktable.exe -d all This will run in debug mode and perhaps spit out what is wrong…

Are you sure the install went okay??

Installed from www.darktable.org???

hmm… it doesnt even start up a debug the command prompt just dies and exits

Antivirus or windows defender?

First, type cmd and start command prompt
Then start with darktable --disable-opencl
If it starts, then we will troubleshoot the GPU.

I’ve seen something very similar to this on Win11 - it’s happened twice when I installed a different version of dt alongside my main release version. Even though I used configdir, cachedir and tempdir to seperate to two installs. Once I uninstall the second one, things work fine again. :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

Oh, and it’s not consistent - I’ve tried loads of dev versions and it’s only happened twice. The more recent was when I used a really old dt 2.4 to try something.

It starts now but we have another problem it flies off the screen when i click on it

I forgot to say that im on windows 11

Have you tried uninstalling it, downloading again, (from the official site) then reinstalling? It just seems strange - maybe the install was corrupted somehow.

hmm… Ive downloaded it several times with also different version but then it doesn’t start or the samething happens.

Did you try the command prompt approach that I described above?

Yes i did and still crashed.

OK, and when it crashed, did it produce a log file?
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\darktable-log.txt

Also, did you include the flag to disable OpenCL? --disable-opencl

Simply deleting and reinstalling won’t help (unless it’s a disk error or similar that corrupted your executable files). All of darktable’s settings and database are still preserved under C:\%LOCALAPPDATA%\darktable (so C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\darktable). If you really want to start from scratch, you should delete that directory (it’s hidden, I think).

1 Like

To uninstall it I would run the uninstall routine but also you may need to visit the User\Appdata\Local folder and delete the Darktable folder if there is one. If you have been installing and un installing and using different versions something must be up…Also check the programfiles folder and clear any darktable remnants from there…

Now as a precaution try to install darktable 4.2 but modify the install directory so it gets its own…maybe darktable_42 or something like that…

You should now have a clean install not impacted by your previous efforts…

Does that work??

“Basically what @Kofa has advised…”

EDIT:

It may be the language thing but your install directory seems to be in Program and not ProgramFiles… any chance there is some path issue and DT is not where it is expected. Also you could check for lock files…normally a warning is fired when they are there but if you have crashed there maybe two files library.lock and data.lock that will block DT from running. This should not be an issue if you delete the folder as noted by @Kofa but if you see them you could try deleting them first… I only say this as last week I tried to open DT when I had it already running and then I cancelled on the warning but my original instance which I had left open the night before was frozen so I had to terminate it… I could not get DT to open and I was not getting any warning. I thought something got corrupted in the crash but as it turned out I had lock files and just needed to delete them an d all was good… I don’t think this is your issue but some day it might be a reason DT wont’ run so its not bad to be aware of those files…

I cant look into it right now but i will probably do try it tommorow, thanks for the help