Darktable perspective correction - the "centro storico" of Arco/Italy at an wonderful April evening

End of April I was a little bit of rock climbing in Arco (Italy). Before looking for a good ristorante at evening we took a little stroll through the old center, equipped with my sony a6000, Minolta MD 28-70 (manual lens) + Adapter and - of course - tripod.

I managed to shoot one of the photos which will take a place in my all time favorites. Thanks to perspective correction, the ultimate touch after defensive post processing was easy to give: to remove (extremely) distracting distortion. The shot was so sharp - even in the edges - that I had to blurr the faces of some guests in the nearby “bar”. The castello of Arco floats like an ancient ghost in the air. I had to go as far left as possible to get it not too mixed up with on of the chimneys.

I made of it a 40x60 cm print - and it looks great! I hereby give this as a present to the wonderful community (under CC-BY-SA, Copyright: Immanuel Wilhelmy - (no license pro - anything else needed?).

Here the final photo in 24M:

Here a reduced version without perspective correction:

Enjoy and every comment welcome.

Immanuel.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, nice picture!
I happen to live in the area BTW :slight_smile:

EDIT just to be consistent with the OP, I also corrected the perspective :wink: (although I didn’t find the original particularly disturbing)

1 Like

That darktable perspective correction module is simply amazing.

3 Likes

@bminney Totally agree with your statement :grinning:

I discovered the soften module today as well. Combine that with the fusion option in base curve module and you get some lovely effects

And some not so lovely artifacts.

Whoops, wrong photo! This is the correct one (its a heavily cropped photo)

2 Likes

That’s much better indeed :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the comments and remarks.
@agriggio: Lucky you! Northern Italy is great and close to my home (me living in Innsbruck).