Darktable plugin for Gimp 2.9.7 stopped working

When I installed Gimp 2.9.7, Darktable came with it as a plugin. Worked great for about 10 days, then, last night, it stopped working. If I click on a raw image file, it still opens in Darktable, and I can export it then open in Gimp. Just curious why DT stopped functioning as a Gimp plugin.

Not certain if I should post this in as a Gimp topic or a Darktable topic. Feel free to move it if appropriate.

My first post on this Forum. Very interesting reading. Hope I am not breaking any rules.

Thanks for any replies or advice.

Caruso

1 Like

We have rules? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: SCNR

While I have no clue regarding your question, it might be beneficial to give additional hints to get some help: What changed between the last time it worked and the first time it did not (updates, changed config, …)? What OS are you working on? Which darktable version are you running?

Edit: And it could be interesting what is configured in the picture import configuration. Furthermore, GIMP 2.9.7 tells me on the command line if it is able to interact with darktable:

> gimp
This is a development version of GIMP.  Debug messages may appear here.

[...]

[/build/gimp-GqS13T/gimp-2.9.7~15/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] trying to call 'darktable'
[/build/gimp-GqS13T/gimp-2.9.7~15/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] stdout:
this is darktable 2.2.5
copyright (c) 2009-2017 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

[...]

Does it tell something else on your machine? With the --verbose flag you get even more information about the plugins.

How did you install gimp? Which OS and version?

Thank you for the reply.

What changed between the last time it worked and the first time it did not (updates, changed config, …)?
To my knowledge, nothing changed. I was in a photo “development”/editing session. Had completed six or seven images successfully, opening the RAW file by clicking on the file name, having DT open the image, performing some edits in DT, then closing DT which then passes the image on to Gimp.

Then, I ran into a slight problem where the Gimp screen did not appear when I closed DT. I clicked the RAW file again, DT opened, I closed DT, no Gimp. I repeated this process about four or five times, then decided to close everything down, only to discover that in the background (or in an Ubuntu window hidden by DT which was full screen) there were four or five instances of Gimp sitting there waiting for me to click to convert the color space (by clicking the button “Convert”). I closed all but one, clicked “Convert” on the last remaining instance, the image opened in Gimp, I made a few additional changes, exported the file, closed Gimp, and tried to move on to the next RAW file. That is when I discovered that clicking on a RAW file will invoke DT, but subsequent closing of DT will no longer pass the file off to Gimp. DT just closes. I can reopen the file with DT and export the image, then click right click the exported file to open it in Gimp. So, at the moment, DT is functioning as a stand-alone RAW file editor, not a Gimp plug-in.
I am running Ubuntu 17.10 on a dual boot machine (not that the dual boot setup should have any influence on this issue).

When I start Gimp from Teerminal I receive the following message:

caruso2@caruso2-G74Sx:~$ gimp
/usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-2.0/apps/mate-panel.rc:30: error: invalid string constant "murrine-scrollbar", expected valid string constant
This is a development version of GIMP.  Debug messages may appear here.

Missing fast-path babl conversion detected, Implementing missing babl fast paths
accelerates GEGL, GIMP and other software using babl, warnings are printed on
first occurance of formats used where a conversion has to be synthesized
programmatically by babl based on format description

*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "RGBA float" to "CIE Lab alpha float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "R'G'B'A float" to "CIE Lab alpha float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "CIE Lab alpha float" to "RGBA float"
*WARNING* missing babl fast path(s): "CIE LCH(ab) double" to "R'G'B' double"

(gimp:8640): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(gimp:8640): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

[/build/gimp-bwonFz/gimp-2.9.7~7/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] trying to call 'darktable'
[/build/gimp-bwonFz/gimp-2.9.7~7/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] stdout:
this is darktable 2.2.5
copyright (c) 2009-2017 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
  bit depth is 64 bit
  normal build
  SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
  OpenMP support enabled
  OpenCL support enabled
  Lua support enabled, API version 4.0.0
  Colord support enabled
  gPhoto2 support enabled
  GraphicsMagick support enabled
  OpenEXR support enabled

[/build/gimp-bwonFz/gimp-2.9.7~7/plug-ins/file-raw/file-darktable.c] have_darktable: 1

I do not know how to invoke the “verbose flag”, but if you explain, I will use the flag and post the results.

Thanks again for your reply.
While I am not agonizing over this issue, I am curious as to what changed in my setup.

Caruso

Sorry, looks like I pasted the contents of the terminal twice.

Running Ubuntu 17.10, installed via system upgrade from 17.04.
After the upgrade, went searching for Gimp, found version 2.9.7 on some PPA
(sorry, I don’t remember which), installed via Software Center (think
that’s what you call it) from that package. Did not compile it, myself.
Thanks.
Caruso

You can tell us which PPA by looking in the software sources in… Synaptic I think.

The terminal output indicates that GIMP is able to find a suitable darktable. Which matches with your observation of darktable starting when called from within GIMP.

Once you closed darktable, could you please check if GIMP is still running? ps x | grep gimp should tell you.

While @houz is much more qualified to help here than me, I just want to point out that you should be able to edit your post to delete the redundant text.

By starting GIMP with gimp --verbose on the command line. gimp --help will show you a list of all available options and how to invoke them. With the verbose flag, you get much more information than without. Probably that’s not required at the moment, better follow the advice from @houz.

I just did that.

I didn’t do anything, but Darktable and Gimp have started working again as they did before. I click on a RAW image file, it opens in Darktable, when I close Darktable, and Gimp starts and opens the file. I am once again a happy camper.
There was a previous version of Gimp that worked with UFRaw in this way. UFRaw is a capable application, Darktable another animal altogether. I’m no programmer, but I feel fortunate to have lived during the development of computers/software. I am a very enthusiastic consumer.
Thanks for your help.
I would mark this thread solved if I knew how, LOL.
Caruso