darktable Slideshow

Hi there,

if I run the slideshow with a couple of random pictures and than return to the lighttable, the darktable process bogs down the machine at approx constant 70% CPU load with just sitting at idle on the lighttable module.

Happened on an older I7 gen notebook running Ubuntu 18.04.4 (dt 3.0.1 from OBS repo) and now a freshly installed Tumbleweed (dt 3.0.1 from standard repo).

Can anyone confirm the behavior? Than I will file a bug report.

Speaking of…bug report filing on redmine or github? What is the proper location?

If you have set hight quility for the slideshow it may be the case that the CPU load is high. See prefs.

In all cases the only and correct location for the bug report is GitHub.

1 Like

Pascal,

thank you for your reply.
I tried it with hq settings off…during the slideshow there is less CPU load in comparison to hq settings but reaching the last picture of the slideshow and after returning to lighttable via “l” key, there still is about 70% CPU load

also tried switching opencl on and off but that doesn’t have any effect.

Another observation:
When in idle in lighttable after returning from the slideshow module, I can observe that the CPU load is not constant but every know and than it drops before returning to its 70-80% range as if in the background the slideshow is still running.

After about 20 minutes of 70-80% CPU load on that machine it finally stopped and everything is normal again.

Confusion about this seems to pop up frequently. Perhaps it would be beneficial to remove any pointers to redmine, wherever they may still be.

1 Like

Slightly off topic: But what is the point of the Slideshow feature in DarkTable? Perhaps I lack imagination, but I cannot think of a single case where it would not be faster and better to export the pictures from Darktable as e.g. JPEGs and run a slideshow on them. First of all, you do not need to use your machine for photo editing for the presentation. Secondly, your pictures will be pre-rendered, avoiding problems like in the parent post. Thirdly, your slideshow will look the same, all the time. With Darktable you might encounter bugs in the rendition or you might have deliberately or accidentaly altered the edit of one or more pictures.

What is the point of the map module you can export and use an external map to display image locations? What is the point of the print module, you can export and print with another tool? What is the point of the capture module, one can shot from camera and import the pictures?

What is the point of having a tool that fit needs of multiple people ?

1 Like

I see it in a pragmatic way:

If it is built in, it should work

I filed a bug report on github as I could reproduce the behavior on a second machine (desktop this time).
Most likely not the most urgent issue but still worth reporting imho

Thanks everyone

It was not my intention to seem disrespectful. I can understand that people have a need of a slideshow viewer. I just don’t understand how the majority of the users are not better served by a separate program

Features in software are like puppies. If you adopt them you have to commit to taking care of them for the rest of their lifespan. And programs that have many features are harder to maintain that more lean ones. I would rather have a leaner but more bug-free DarkTable than the opposite.

The examples you gave of other features are not the same. You could print from another program. But it printing from DarkTable make sense if you a) want to print as fast as possible, and b) print from the same computer as you develop your photos. I think that goes for most of the users. Personally, I would like to print to my photo printer from DarkTable but can’t because the of some bug I cannot diagnose.

Secondly, the map feature is not only for viewing your pictures’ geo-data But also for assigning geo-coordinates in a intuitive manner. Since we want to assign metadata as early in the picture processing pipeline (ie before pictures are developed and exported) it makes a lot of sense of having a map feature in DarkTable.

As for the tethering option, by having that feature in DarkTable you could auto-assign styles and presets to the pictures as you preview them. That would not been possible if you used a separate program for that.

1 Like

What is a good, FOSS slideshow program?

Hello @paperdigits

What is a good, FOSS slideshow program?

No idea really and I am a bit curious myself to know :slight_smile:

What about Kdenlive [1] ?

[1] Kdenlive/Manual/Projects and Files/Clips - KDE UserBase Wiki

I don’t do slideshows very often, so I haven’t evaluated all the different alternatives. But geeqie is superfast and has a slideshow option.

You were not, I’m just trying to say that dt is for everyone and we all have different views, needs way of working. Of course there is some decisions to take and dt won’t be a tool for occasional people as it is quite technical. But still when we can support more feature it fill better. I’m one of those people who don’t like using 10 different tools to do my dev work, that’s why I have chosen dt.

Hi @emem,

I would like to print to my photo printer from DarkTable but can’t because of some bug I cannot diagnose.

Operating system?
Printer?
From where did you obtain your darktable?
Does the print option appear for you in darktable?
Do you have the CUPS system installed?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Just saw the notification: Bug should be fixed and is added to the 3.2 milestone

Thank you everyone

Hejsan Claes!
Printer: Canon Pixma Pro 10-S
DT: From the community repo
Print option: Yes
CUPS?: I tried the proprietary Turboprint for Linux.

I never got Turboprint to work, but to be honest I did not try very hard. I realized that it was simpler and cheaper to buy a Windows 10 Pro license and run Canons own software in a VM than to use Turboprint. And I did not find any FOSS software that could fully take advantage of the Pixma Pro 10S.

Windows 10 is like a stranded whale that have been dead for a week. Bloated and disgusting. But I don’t print that often, which makes it easier to stomach Win10 and Canons lousy printing software. And the Pixma Pro 10S is a fantastic machine that produces amazing prints. I turned off network access for the VM so Windows telemetry and forced updates are neutered.

Hej Mikael!

OK. That is probably the reason why you cannot print from darktable,
it needs CUPS, as stated here:
https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/print_chapter.html

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Using different tools in your editing pipeline is preferable if you can tie them together. Let me describe my editing process: I’m on Linux and I use custom scripts to perform some of the steps I think are better done outside DarkTable. I have a custom command line menu that provides me with shortcuts to my scripts. With these scripts I have automated many of the tedious steps in the image processing. Many of these functions can be done in DarkTable, but less well IMHO. Here is my menue:

‣ scripts/00_öppna_DarkTable.sh
scripts/01_minneskort.sh
scripts/02_mobilbilder.sh
scripts/03_bild-sortering.sh
scripts/04_importera_till_darktable.sh
scripts/05_kopiera_filmer.sh
scripts/06_krymp_bilder.sh
scripts/07_ladda_upp_filer.sh
scripts/08_autosortera_mappar.sh
scripts/09_MS_Windows.sh
scripts/10_Skicka_SMS.sh
scripts/11_antilock_darktable.sh
scripts/13_sc_600ppi_15x10.sh

Translation from Swedish:

S0: Opens Darktable
S1: Opens the images in my SD-card (if inserted) in Geeqie which I use for the first fast culling of the pictures taken. For each picture I want to take, I press ctrl-c and it is the copied to a “sorting folder” on my local disc.
S2: Opens pictures in Geeqie that have been uploaded from my wife’s or my own mobile phone to our NAS.
S3: Copies and renames the pictures in the sorting folder to my NAS according to the EXIF data and a title I give. Eg. DCM_0334.NEF is copied to “RAWs/2020-05-20 Week 35/Stroll in the woods - no01.NEF”
S4: Gives me a menu of the folders in my RAWs directory. The folder I choose will then be imported into DarkTable as a film roll.
S5: Copies videos uploaded from our mobile phones to my Plex library.
S6: I export my DT edits to full resolution, high quality JPEGs for archival. These are too large for comfortable viewing in Plex. So I have a script that makes a 1080p copy of every full size JPEG into a mirrored folder structure.
S7: Takes a backup copy of DT configs to my NAS.
S8: Copies all RAW files in my downloads directory to a “PlayRAW” folder on my NAS.
S9: Starts Win10 for when I want to use my photo printer.
S10: Sends a SMS to my son’s grandparents when I’ve uploaded new pictures of him to my Plex library.
S11: Removes DT’s pidfile when DT has crashed and refuses to restart. :frowning:
S13: A custom script for bulk scanning 10x15 cm photo prints I have stored from twenty years ago.

Thank you!