darktable support for olympus e-m5 mIII

After two Years, I just updated my system (OpenSuse TW) and now have DT 3.0.1 installed.
I think You did a great job.
Compared to 2.6, everything is so much snappier. The new modules are fantastic.

But sadly my new om-d e-m5 mIII is not yet fully supported. Lens- and noiseprofiles aren’t available.
Does anyone of You know, when this is expected, or if the rc version features this?

Thanks

Hello Florian!

darktable doesn’t controll lens profiles, for that you need lensfun. try lensfun-update-data in terminal and you should get new lens profiles. you can help that with:

As for noise - checkout great article by @asn

Also - I’m working on an easier way to generate whitebalance presets with finetuning for darktable usage :slight_smile:

There’s an open issue for adding noiseprofiles for your camera:
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/4481

But it’s neither tagged nor integrated so you’ve got to wait a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can check the lensfun issue tracker for lens profiles.

Noise profiles for darktable are actually really easy to do: PIXLS.US - How to create camera noise profiles for darktable

Why not contribute yourself?!

Can you give more details what you are trying to do?

Sure!

(damn, redmine.darktable.org is down so some parts might not work to explain)

basically - in darktable wiki (old) the steps to get whitebalance presets (with finetunig) were sparsly described and script to run it required having darktable source packages, ruby interpreter and even then required manual work to sort and assign finetuning numbers reliably.

So my plan is to:

1. create script to extract preset data from images that won’t require ruby, just bash + exiftool (done)
  2. enhance extract_wb script to be able to read not only images but also data generated from script from point 1 (done)
  3. enhance extract_wb script to be able to read finetuning info from exiftool report (this thread was to gather samples for finetuning recognision) (partially done)
  4. write very easy and detailed wiki entry on github for camera support and generating whitebalance presets.
  5. bonus: write singe point source for camera support on darktable github wiki to point to resources on how to generate lens correction (link), noise profiles (link to your article), white balance (my wiki entry), raw supports etc :slight_smile:

what do you think?

I would go with python and python3-exiv2. I’m using it for lens_calibrate.py.

For the wb extraction script I would also go with python3 as then we use a consistent scripting language for all of those tools.

Also I would prefer if all those wb presets would be in a json file instead of a .c file. This way it would be easy to update by users.

Actually I think this is what we should do first.

Put the white balance stuff in a json file and read it. Then allow to read wb presets also from ~/.config/darktable/wb_presets.json. The script to generate them could add them there and a user can then actually test them before submitting. So we need to look into jansson next.

good idea. but first i’d rather focus on improving existing tooling. change such as this is very desirable but later on.

(plus i don’t know python yet :stuck_out_tongue: )

I did the noiseprofiling today, only whole EV steps though.
I had to change the model name to e-m5 mark III, instead of e-m5markIII. But now it seems to work.
Where can I send the file?
I didn’t necessarily want to join another community (GitHub).

But now I have the next problem.

Lensfun stopped working.

I had both versions (1&2) installed. Lenscorrection used to work, but not for the e-m5m3. What I found out is, that this was due to the spelling. It should be e-m5 mark III and not e-m5markIII.
Unfortunately, I meanwhile deleted liblensfun_1, since it was marked as orphaned in Yast.
I can’t seem to get it back (‘nothing provides liblensfun.so.1’) and dt won’t show the lenscorrection module anymore. Any hints? Thank You

Which distro do you have? How did you install darktable?

Probably reinstalling lensfun and/or darktable should do the trick.

I’m on Opensuse Tumblweed. Installed using Yast, switched to the graphics repo, since there’s the newer version.
Reinstalled dt and lensfun, no avail. Dt installation says, it needs liblensfun_1, but I can’t find it.

You can send it via direct message to me and I’ll open an issue in github for you, to have the noiseprofiles included.

As for lensfun - is there a package called liblensfun1? try installing that.

Thank You!

I’ll send it to You.

And no, there’s no package liblensfun1, only *2.

Edit: File format not allowed in private message.
Sorry

I just don’t get it, is dt 3.x built against lensfun 3.2 (v1), or 3.95 (v2)? I read, it’s 3.95, but why does it require liblensfun1 then?

This depends on your distro and what the package for your distro specifies.

So just to get it right, I installed Opensue Tumbleweed. I had liblenfun1 and liblensfun2 installed. It didn’t work. I deleted liblenfun1 since it was marked orphaned, in order to reinstall, and since then dt doesn’t show me the lens correction module anymore. I can’t install liblensfun1(nothing provides…), but dt says, it needs it. All done in Tumbleweed repos with yast. No compiling of foreign data.

Distro and the contained package seem to differ!

Would it make sense, to call Darix?

Solved.

There’s a problem. Even in the graphics repo there’s no lensfun1 available, but dt is build against it.

The workaround is to install the kde:extra repo.

zu früh gefreut…

You can install dt after the workaround without warnings , but lenscorrection still doesn’t work.

Why, what, where and when, I don’t know.
Going to sleep right now…

I finally got it.

I had to uninstall dt and lensfun.
Then install dt which installed lensfun_1 in usr/share/lensfun.
Then installed lensfun_2, since GIMP requires it.
Seems to work for now.

1 Like