Darktable tether questions

I’m slowly adopting Darktable as part of my workflow. The ability to get a RAW image in tether is important when doing flash work (jpgs and RAW are about 1.5 EV apart on my Canon 6D). It’s far too complicated to try and estimate EV adjustments for both the camera and flash units by guessing from the resulting jpg.

• When I tether in Darktable, the image is not stored on the SD card, but only on the host computer. Do you know of way to do both ? I realize gphoto2 is the underlying mechanism, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to configure how Darktable invokes it.

• In tether mode, the histogram does not automatically update. I have to switch into darkroom, update, and switch back if I really want to be sure I’ve nailed the exposure.

Thanks for anything you can share as I’m learning to appreciate Darktable.

There is no way to keep the image on the card. Why do you need that?

Yes, that is something that annoys me, too. But currently the tethering mode isn’t actively worked on since none of the devs seem to use it that often. :frowning:

Thanks for the response.

• I’m more comfortable with keeping images on the SD card when tethering, as a backup. It’s more of a nice-to-have option, than a must-have.

• The histogram for tethering is a necessity in studio lighting. W/o it, I have to cycle back to darkroom, refresh, and then pop back into the tether mode. Maybe there is another way to identify any clipping ? When using flash, it can happen easily.

KumsaJack, have you considered qDSLRDashboard for tethered shooting?

I have only played around with tethering, and darktable only partially supports / works with my Nikon D3300.
I have had more joy with qDSLRDashboard. https://dslrdashboard.info/

Is qDSLRdashboard free software? I couldn’t find it in their page.

My friendly gphoto dev told me that in theory … gphoto can grab the photo and leave it on the SD card :slight_smile: