darktable windows insider program 10/23

Here’s the link to the latest weekly snapshot of darktable 4.1, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MxJ-zwAPVPtRwfNEsbT8nPQ1TglhByXF/view?usp=sharing. The list of commits from the last version to this one is at Comparing fc50dbc5a...1880a8aa2 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

6 Likes

@wpferguson thanks for your efforts here. Always cures my Monday blues.

Is there (or will there be) an option to disable “smoothly scroll and expand modules”? As a cosmetic-only animation it serves no practical purpose, isn’t visually appealing and on my less-than-blazingly-fast laptop it only adds to the overall feeling of slowness. It would be nice to disable this kind of superfluous UI candy in such situations.

I’m not at all opposed to cosmetic UI improvements and clarity, by any means. But widget animation rarely if ever serves a purpose IMO.

Thanks for everyone’s efforts.

The option is there already, isn’t it?

Did you read the PR?

The speed of the smooth transitions and scrolls can be configured in preferences/misc/duration of ui transitions, all the way down to 0/instantaneous/normal/as before.

Apparently not closely enough! I missed that.

Thanks.

Can someone reproduce this crash?

• Open photo with rather large area of blown out highlights. Like this one:
    DSC_2989.NEF (26.2 MB)
  • Go to hightlight reconstruction
  • Set to segmentation based
    → mostly immediate crash
  • If it does not immediatly crash, lower the threshold to get it crash

Fresh AppData config, fresh photo folder, open CL on/off, you know the drill. I was a while off from dev builds, and even otherwise I never use hl reconstruction module, so I don’t know since when this happens.

It also happens with the automated builds 630 and 620, so I won’t blame Bill’s build.

darktable-log.txt (1.6 KB)

Does it happen with inpaint too?

Not yet, inpaint seems good.

I’m on +555 and no issues so maybe sometime after that… I saw quite a few commits
on HLR ROI regions… if reproducible then maybe one of those introduced it??

565, last week’s insider build, seems good.

There is a PR that was merged after this build for ROI bug fixes. Proper fix for highlights reconstruction ROI problems by jenshannoschwalm · Pull Request #12682 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

There is another yet to be merged for another bug fix: Bugfix: excessive load for previews & thumbnails by jenshannoschwalm · Pull Request #12702 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

I cant reproduce on Fedora 36 4.1.0~git631.a262c59d

PS Nice picture capturing the moment of the dog/toy. Inpaint gave me good results at 1.0 with filmic white at 3.8, exposure at 0.5.

I will look out for the merges. :+1:

Nice picture capturing the moment of the dog/toy

Photo of doggy = great by default

I’m not disagreeing with your opinion, or surprised that you and many/most others would have it (which is why the option to switch this new feature off was there from the start; I had even suggested to make it the default) and I definitely am not interested in changing your mind, but for some, having an animation when things move about really does help seeing where they went. So for them, not you mind, this actually does serve a practical purpose.

Just putting this out there, to at least a little fight the impression that “devs” just add all kinds of useless stuff that “nobody” wants, rather than fixing bugs as they should, what with the massive salaries they are being paid etc etc.

2 Likes

My apologies if I sounded like I was implying misfocused efforts by the devs. My primary concern was re: responsiveness on my laptop.

I’m good with animation / movement / etc. when it assists, communicates or clarifies information relevant to the task at hand. That’s one of the things an interface should do. What I don’t care for is the pointless “eye candy” I’ve seen so much elsewhere (but admittedly not in darktable). I remember years ago when by default the Windows 98 menus would slide in, slide out, fade up, fade down, ad nauseum. There seem to be so many UIs elsewhere (particularly in web technologies) that are more cartoonish than capable and sometimes I actually have to wait for the UI to finish its dance, as it were, before I can proceed. Once again, I’m not talking about darktable, but when I saw the feature my kneejerk reaction was “oh no…”. :slight_smile:

Having the ability to vary the ‘intensity’ is IMO the best of both worlds and I thank you for that. My apologies that I initially missed that point.

I’ve just compiled from the master branch and felt the same way. I think it’s way out of place for an editing program and the default should be 0 or a faster value, not what it is at the moment. Looking at other software like Capture One their modules also open instantly. Of all the places I think opening modules is one that has no need for animations. Just my opinion, in the end it should be whatever floats everyone’s boats.

1 Like