darktable windows insider program 7/11

Here’s the link to the weekly snapshot of darktable 3.7

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10utNEG83sfxeAsgvFgSlDgqfb3eY2qpp/view?usp=sharing

Highlights include:

• New diffusion module
  • Windows import bug fix
  • New input system

The full list is available at Pulse · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

9 Likes

Thanks @wpferguson! So will you be posting a new link every week or will there eventually be a bookmarkable site to grab the latest builds?

For now it will be a link every week. The darktable-org website is under going a rebuild so after that is finished, then I’ll see about adding something more permanent there

No problem, thanks for doing this!

wouldn’t it be possible to make automated nightly builds on github? I see other Projects do that but I’m not familiar with how this could be done.

In theory, yes, but we lack a dedicated windows Dev to help figure it out.

1 Like

We might be able to do this now that Lua 5.4 has merged (once I fix a little something I missed). I’ll look at the CI build stuff and see if I can figure it out

1 Like

AFAIK, Windows nightly builds already exist over at darktable GHA. Sadly, they don’t work for me for some reason…

Maybe Like this?? Schedule file transfers (or synchronization) to FTP/SFTP server :: WinSCP If I had an FTP location I could try to set something up to feed to it…

Nice!

This way I can test new features in dt while not messing with my production setup.
Also it gives that w10 machine some reason to exist.

Since this will be a fooling around setup all over:
Anything particular to look for in windows builds?

Is Sigmoid in it?

And how you install it without killing the darktable release? I would prefer zipped folders, let me run different versions parallel without installing anything.

Let me quote the original post

What is it?

A weekly windows build of the latest development snapshot

Sigmoid has not been merged into the development branch (master) and I expect it will not be included in these builds unless/until it is merged.

The original post has instructions for how to install it without harming your original/production install. Basically, just use the shortcut provided and make sure you choose not to uninstall your current install when it prompts you.

It’s working like a charm for me. Both builds running in parallel and not interfering with each other. No bugs found so far either.

Yes, you are right of course, sigmoid is not part of the current development.

But I am looking for a windows build that includes it, and could not find one.
Do you know of any?
Is it too difficult to build DT for windows?

I will try if it is not so complex, but I had read that it was not so easy to compile many of its dependencies which are Linux based.

No, and its documented. Have at it!

1 Like

will have a look, thanks.

If you look here…just follow the instructions for method A…

When you get to this part…

What has worked for me is to use the build script…so after creating the build directory…then run ./build.sh… if it completes then you will be presented with a text string that you can use to do a direct install or you can change the word install to package to create a windows installer.

or you can just continue and do these steps manually but I find for me the build script works fine…

Thanks a lot.

I was reading it.
I was thinking of making a cross compile installing linux in a vitualbox linux machine.
But I read that it is not recommended and does not work well.

May be I better install a windows virtual machine in my windows machine in order to not clutter the machine with a lot of installed packages.

Would you recommend me to do this or it will be to slow and may introduce problems?

It seems there are quite a lot config steps and package installe but nothing so difficult.

I will have to see wich optional dependencies are needed for minimum to simplify the install (I don’t know even what some of them are for, I recognize lensfun,exiv2, lcms, sqlige and some others).

I just install the two versions in different directories obviously and then you use the --configdir to specify a folder for the config files for the second version…so create a folder like c:\DT_sigmoid and then when you run the sigmoid version you can use a short cut with that added to the command line ie… normal command line plus --configdir “C:\DT_sigmoid”

1 Like

Yes that is what I did when I installed it, and what I do with DT as I don’t like the default directory where it installs configdir by default (in appdata in a long path where nobody looks in windows and nobody takes backups from, so I use the configdir in other directory where I do regular backups).

By the way would it be possible to add an options in the install to let the user select where he wants the config and database be installed, and add it to the shorcut with --configdir?