Raw to tiff or jpg occasionally results in lines

Hi all, Darktable issue here, can’t find anything online to resolve, so I thought I would throw a dart. I hope this is the correct venue to ask.
Has anyone experience this issue? See horizontal lines. It happens on tiffs and jpg upon export (pdf looks fine). Not with every image, but yes with the same images over and over. I can’t seem to find a pattern or module that is causal. Using DT 2.2.5, on Mint xfce v.18.1

Credit original RAW to Mario_Saraceni

attached sidecar DSC_0539.NEF.xmp (13.8 KB)

@Kane_Davis Indeed, those horizontal breaks in the gradient near the thirds aren’t right. I haven’t used dt in more than a decade, so I am not the person to provide a good answer. BTW, I modified the title and category so that it is more visible to the dt people.

PS Also include the *.xmp sidecar so that we know what you did in dt.

May I borrow your time machine some day?

Another example, this from my own cr2 raw. Again, this only occurs upon export of about 10% of my exported images, but on these specific exports, it happens every time. I have also seen vertical lines in other exports. I have searched DT’s bug wiki, but am reluctant to post there—I am a rookie.

Sidecar IMG_1383.cr2.xmp (5.5 KB)
original raw
IMG_1383.cr2 (28.8 MB)

Thank you. I have attached to original post, the xmp. Also, I have posted another example, this with proper attachments.
I am using a Canon EOS 77D which I believe is supported by DT 2.2.5.
The NEF in the leading post is from PlayRaw topic, Mario_Saraceni 's beautiful image Misty Path.

@Kane_Davis Hm… Are those breaks roughly around the same location when they happen?

I can neither confirm or deny the invention or ownership of such a device. What I can say is that I have two other devices that have the code names of hyperbole and rounding, and I was there to see the inception of dt, which was about a decade ago.

this is potentially a bug that appears when tiling due to memory constraints. can you narrow it down to a specific module that you always use? like local contrast or global tonemap?

Yes they appear to divide the image into thirds, consistently. In one or two, I have notice vertical (and no I did not rotate 90 degrees), and this also occurs about 1/3 of image.

I have not been able to determine if a specific module is causing, too many variables to pinpoint. I use the same modules in almost all my images, and 90% of them do not export with this glitch. Regarding the memory constraint hypothesis, I am uncertain what to look for: I have 6GB RAM and am using about 55%.