[Play Raw] Dealing with CP filter introduced vignetting

Still peeking through God’s Window. Weather is horrible. With greatest effort Blyde River can be spotted almost on horizon.
Two instances of retouch module in dark table, slightly larger distance to sample area than default, sorted out corner vignetting. That two instances are two iterations, to clear possible confusion.

Guess the same could be achieved via healing in GIMP. Darktable 2.7.0+3~g802f28438 was used FED_1966.NEF.xmp (14.0 KB)

Here is NEF https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uO-aW2H9TcOcm6z2NJVtCHXjV2VTzw51

Released under CC BY-SA 4.0, enjoy

1 Like

I haven’t still looked at your xmp file, but I’d say that you don’t need two instances if your goal is to retouch two different areas of the image. After the first retouch, just click on one of the retouchin shapes and click on another area of the image.

1 Like

Need two instances since single one doesn’t make it look natural/smooth. Yes I am retouching left and right corner simultaneously, do not really see benefit of separating them, give computer workout?

lookin again at the image, I see what you mean. You’re right.

Used Manual lens profile correction and Distortion correction modules of RT 5.5 to remove the vignetting. Spent some time on the definition of clouds and getting the colors right.
FED_1966.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

3 Likes

Better representation of rainy day than mine processing.

Hi @FBulovic ,

To remove vignetting, you can use curve with inverted drawn mask (circle).
With the help of the slope of the curve and mask refinement you can then adjust the gradient of the mask to neutralize the vignetting:

3 Likes

Thank you for the nice image.
I didn’t pay attention to the vignetting, it doesn’t bother me.

With GIMP and G’MIC:

G’MIC:
Normalize Brightness, DCP Dehaze, Deblur Texture, Tone Enhance, Curves

1 Like

Thanks for advice

You are welcome. Guess healing with larger area and number of samples in GIMP will handle vignetting.

FED_1966.NEF.pp3 (12.7 KB)

2 Likes

My take. Almost the same workflow as my second entry in [Play Raw] Thou couldst be angry and send us rain - #45 by afre except that the crop is the golden ratio (φ).

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

2 Likes

FED_1966.NEF.xmp (8,3 KB)

1 Like

@Thomas_Do The foreground is sharp for my tastes; the branches have a bit of a halo to them.

That is rain is starting weather conditions. So, go low key, no vivid colors. Both processing woud be 100% if those bright green switch towards gray-green :grinning:

Yes, I considered lowering the chroma but I didn’t. Maybe, if I ever give this another try…

1 Like

Will go in March to Graskop and publish more frames, hope for less rain. Wait and you will be rewarded :lying_face:

Actually, to be clear, I didn’t boost chroma in any way because most if not all of my processing acts upon all of the colour channels the same manner. I would say the weakest link might be the core parts of Retinex and the first sharpening because it is not completely my code. Also both Retinex and any sharpening that I use has clipping.

1 Like

Essai

FED_1966.NEF.xmp (6,6 Ko)

1 Like

Very fun to play with, thanks.

1 Like