Debayering at registration stage

Hello,

Sometimes it is needed to register / stack without preprocessing.

Debayering the raw FITS option is available in Conversion and preprocessing stages.

It cannot be done in PP stage if no darks/bias/flats are selected. So if no PP is being done, the only option is at Conversion stage, which makes the disk space usage much more.

Can there be an option to do in the registration step also?

Thanks

I don’t see any example where you need to register without debayer. The registration will be bad and you would loose Bayer pattern.

Can you give me an example.

For me it is a no go.

Not asking for registration without debayer - my question is whether there can be an option to debayer on the registration tab. It would debayer before registration.

Scenario,

1. 100 raw files mono FITS. Each 18MB. Total 1.8GB
  2. No flats / darks to be used, so i cant use the debayer option on preprocessing tab as it is inactive unless a bias/dark/flat is chosen.
  3. So I have to use debayer on Conversion tab. So I cant use symlinks.
  4. Now my converted files are 36MB each, so 3.6GB.
  5. Now with registration I get another 3.6GB, so total space is 7.2GB.

If debayer could be done on registration tab, then it could start working using the symlinks, and end up with just the registered debayred files totalling 3.6 GB. So saves 3.6GB

That’s the logic - issue is not critical, and simplest solution is to get a bigger disk :slight_smile:

Oh ok. I see.

Yes benefits are just for saving disk space. You can also use FITS compression in siril preferences.

Was doing that, and of course it was slower.

Now I’ve bought an external SSD exclusively for SIRIL and problems sorted :slight_smile:

1 Like