Dev. RawTherapee won't load/run.

I am having a problem with dev. RawTherapee which is probably not a fault of Rawtherapee.
I have been playing with the “local adjustments” feature for some time and love it, however recently, after loading 39 new images I modified one of the images then shut down. I opened dev. version later and the changes I made were gone. Also an image I permanently deleted was back. I reworked the original image again and copied and pasted to all 39 images … later opened the dev.version again and 7 of the images didn’t show the changes I made. Then the worst happened … when I tried to open the dev.version again it would not load. Tried many things but I cannot get any dev.version to load on my windows 10 and yet, thankfully. 5.8 works fine. Any thoughts?

Hi @RichWR and welcome to the forum. You mention a few things.

• Permanently deleted files that reappear sounds like you didn’t actually delete the files, but only put them in the internal trahs bin. See File Browser - RawPedia
  • RawTherapee always stores sidecard (pp3) files while editing. Losing your edits by simply closing the application and reopening is not possible, except maybe if - by some mysterious way - you did not have write permissions to the folder where your images are located. See Sidecar Files - Processing Profiles - RawPedia
  • For the same reason as above: if some of your images did not have the correct processing settings applied after copying, then it is most likely that you forgot to copy the settings (for example because you had an active filter and some images did not show up, or you simply missed a row in the file browser while selecting). I have not seen any recent cases where writing pp3 files or copying processing parameters were an issue, sorry :upside_down_face:
  • Having multiple dev versions along side each other should not be a problem, in theory. As long as you do not downgrade you should not lose information, nor should your version suddenly not open at all. Still, if that happens, you could try to clear your cache. Go to Windows Explorer, type %LOCALAPPDATA%, press enter and look up the RawTherapee folder there. Delete the cache folder. Restart RT.
  • Just to be sure. If you download your development builds from here, things should be all right. The locallab builds that are listed are no longer needed, since the Local adjustment feature has been merged into the development branch some time ago.

If you keep running into problems, we need to dig deeper into how you setup things.

3 Likes