Different jpg-output on Win7- and Linux-machine

Hi there.

I’m using RawTherapee both on Windows (Win7) and Linux (lubuntu).
Working on a set of new images i get different jpg-output-results using one or the other system. I do my settings on Linux, save the pp3-file and open it on the Windows-machine. After exporting as JPGs the Linux-version is brighter and more colorful, the Windows-version more flat.
My RawTherapee-Versions:
Linux: 4.2.0
Windows: 4.2.276

Are there any settings outside the pp3-file that woud affect the JPG-output?
Are the two RT-versions that different? But how can i get two equal ones for Windows and Linux?

Thanks a lot
Peter

Hi @coonlight,

Are you working on two machines, two monitors and two graphic cards, or…?

I am on thin ice here, but I do not believe that Lubuntu has any colour management at all.
When on Windows, right-click somewhere on the desktop, select Display settings and
Advanced settings. What colour profile does it report?

Correction: you wrote Win 7. Here are the steps for your OS:

• Right-click desktop
  • Select Screen resolution
  • Click Advanced settings
  • Select the Color Management tab
  • Click Color Management…
    Which ICC profile is marked as (default)?
1 Like

Hi Claes.

Thank you for your quick answer.

Are you working on two machines, two monitors and two graphic cards, or…?

Yes, i do :slight_smile:

Which ICC profile is marked as (default)?

There are two profiles in the list, sRGB and the one for my monitor SL27T-1 LED (fujitsu).
None is marked as default, and the button to do so is grayed. (i will fix that tomorrow)

But: I have produced the images on the different machines, yes, but i examined them on the windows-machine side by side, then both on the linux-machine. They look different in spite of the same pp3-profile.

You can see the two images here (open them in separat browser-tabs and compare):
http://www.coonlight.de/fotos/cat-manual-windows.jpg
and
http://www.coonlight.de/fotos/cat-manual-linux.jpg

As i know the monitor-icc should not affect the images themselves.

Best regards
Peter

You’re using two different versions of RawTherapee, so you will get different results if you use the tools whose code has been changed between those versions. Furthermore, both of those versions are very old and not recommended. Get a more recent development version, 4.2.1000 or higher.

By using the same version. 4.2.1148 in Windows will give the same results as 4.2.1148 in Linux.

Ok, Morgan_Hardwood, you were right.
I get the newest Windows-version and the latest Linux-version (from the ppa of Dariusz Duma; i didn’t know about this before). They have not the same version-number, but the image-outputs are exaclty the same now. Thank you very much.

And on monday i will get a colorimeter-device to profile my monitors, so everything will fall into place now :wink:

Peter