digiKam 5.7.0 is released

Following the release of 5.6.0 published in June, the digiKam team is proud to announce the new release 5.7.0 of the digiKam Software Collection. In this version a lot of work has happened behind the scenes and in fixing bugs, which does not mean there is no enhancements: A new tool to create print layouts has been introduces, albums can now be exported by mail, support for Hugin 2017 was added and GPS traces are storable as KML.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2017-09-11-5.7.0_release_announcement/
6 Likes

Hugin support was mentioned in the opening paragraph, but not in its own paragraph. So what does this feature do?

it wasn’t mentioned any further because it is not a big deal: Creating panoramas with Hugin is possible since quite some time. However in the 2017 release of Hugin their tools have changed, so our panorama tool did not work anymore. Now the tools is again compatible with the new version of Hugin.

1 Like

Congrats team!

Woohoo! Congratulations digiKam team!

Super excited to see so much progress. Put in my double donation today as I seem to have skipped it last year. Absolutely superb software and very essential to my workflow!

1 Like

Wow! I actually went through the list of fixed bugs and it looks very very impressive! Great release! Congrats to the team!

Hats off Digikam team!

5.7 release working fine with Mysql and à collection of about 45 000 photos ( under Linux Mint )

First attempt miigrating from Sqllite to Mysql was a little bit problematic :

• Desabling Apparmor profile for Mariadb fixed the first error.
  • A strange SQL syntax error manualy fixed; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near ‘rows INTEGER,\n cols INTEGER,\n ’ at line 7” 1064 2

I’am not realy able to explain, but I was trying to fixe manualy this SQL syntaxe complaining before beiing able to start Digikam

Now, facedb is not working, but Mysql is experimental …

Bravo !!!

Hi,
I have just noticed that two dll files got a huge size increase from previous version:

• libdigikamcore.dll: 18,6MB → 354MB
  • libdigikamgui.dll: 12,8MB → 294MB

I don´t know if this already happened on older releases.
Does anybody know if this is normal?

That is probably due to debugging symbols, which blow up the size a lot. They should be in all release, but apparently weren’t in the one you previously used.

1 Like

Hi rasimo.

I tried pestudio at first but it only seems to support the MS standard with pdb side file. Thanks to your input I researched a little more and discovered that mingw-gcc uses DWARF debugging data format that generates debugging information in the executable file.

Also, it was interesting to find that the new DWARF 5 format allows separation of debugging data from executable files and that gcc 7 supports it through the -gdwarf-5 option (ref: Dwarf Home and GCC 7 Release Series — Changes, New Features, and Fixes - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)).

Hello Giles,

Thanks for the 5.7.0 release. I’ve started using the AppImage build. But the 5.7.0 build lacks the Desktop Integration prompt. Is it deliberate ?

The appimage desktop integration was been disabled while bundle construction because the appimage script call system based dialog that crash violently with new Linux distro. It’s definitively an AppImage sdk problem, as we don’t touch this desktop integration script…

I want to say “thank you” to the whole digikam team. I enjoyed digikam nearly every day this year. I’m not a professional but digikam has to organize some 120’000 picture files for me and does it astonishing and reliable. Though I’m using an old version of my distro the appimage helps me to use the latest release of digikam. Thanks and good luck for all further plans and improvements!

1 Like