digiKam 6.1.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, after the first digiKam 6 release published in February 2019, we received lots of user feedback to consolidate this important stage of this project started 2 years ago. We are proud to quickly announce the new digiKam 6.1.0, with plenty of new features and fixes. The New Plugins Interface “DPlugins” With 6.0.0, digiKam project has already left the KIPI plugins support and embedded all tools as native solutions without easly permitting to customize and extend the application.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2019-04-14-6.1.0_release_announcement/
2 Likes

Great release! Congrats to the team!

Looks like now you can process an image, export it and post it on the web with a single click. Can’t wait to try it out!

So many features! Congrats everyone!

Probably gonna ditch this software pretty soon. Using it since version 5.4 and there just hasn’t been a stable (Win) version. Always some kind of giant glitch, bug or crash often resulting in database corruption. (Yes all other software I use has no problems at all). Sad.

I am sorry about your experience. Looks like I am a lucky one. I use digikam on both linux and windows 10 OSes and overall experience is great. I use SQLite not mySQL though and I also write metadata to JPGs as well as XMP sidecars for DNG and AVI/MP4. The issues if they exist are usually minor.

2 Likes

Yeah I guess for some the experience is flawless. Same kinda usage over here.

I just did some bug reports / requests. I, from my perspective thus knowingly biased, kindly suggest the developers to focus more on the core (stability, UX/UI, logical functionality, productivity) instead of adding 142385 plugins, which I instantly disable by the way.

I’m a relatively new user to Digikam on Windows, and have to say the experience has been fantastic. Google Picasa worked great, but was EOL’d. Photoshop Elements had great image editing capabilities but the photo organizer’s performance became unusable when working with my collection of 200K photos.

Digikam strikes a great balance between an effective photo organizer with a sane UI, a decent photo editor, and active development with an exciting roadmap.

I’m very happy to see the new plug-in architecture launch so soon after 6.0. I hope this opens the door to greater community involvement, bringing new options without affecting overall stability (cutting edge facial recognition plug-ins that run locally would be phenomenal). I also look forward to the planned work to improve using shared databases over a NAS.

My wife extensively uses Shutterfly to create photo albums, and on a selfish note I hope someone builds an “export to Shutterfly” plug-in. This is the last Picasa feature that Digikam still lacks, and would dramatically simplify the workflow of organize->edit->upload->print photo book.

Overall, kudos to the Digikam team and thank you for all the hard work!

3 Likes

I think creating the new native plugin interface actually improved the core. I might be wrong but I think the native plugins only load when needed versus kipi-plugins being loaded on startup.

1 Like

The new plugins are… not new in fact, but just a port of already existing internal tools to a new plugin infrastructure. Disabling all plugins as well will cut off application in deep.

Creating a well designed plugin API permit to separate developments from core and extra components which will improve stability. New contributors will work only on code outside from core…

1 Like

The workflow.xml batch queue workflow definitions seem to have been lost in the upgrade process. Where can I find them in order to recreate them?