Digikam 6.4 sidecar file handling

Hi All,

Long time lurker but this is my first post here. I am working on setting up a Linux based photo workflow.

Fedora 31 Design Suite

digiKam 6.4 appimage

Configure > Matadata > Sidecars

I want to “Read from sidecar files” and “Write to sidecar files” only when necessary - “Write to XMP sidecar for read-only item only”

But I’m not sure what this means - “Use a compatible file name for writing to sidecar files”

I’m not seeing this in the documentation and Google is coming up empty. I’m thinking it has to do with the “filename.nef.xmp” vs “filename.xmp” debate. If so, I would like to stick with the industry standard “filename.xmp”. I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on this checkbox?

Thanks.

Best I’ve been able to find is this: 278935 – Please make XMP Sidecar filename configurable [patch]

Thanks @paperdigits, that looks like the origin of the check box. I’ll do some testing and see if having it checked works as I would expect - using “filename.xmp” rather than “filename.nef.xmp”

1 Like

i have a problem…i want a sidecar with extension such name.dng.xmp so an other programm like darktable is able to read…but in the last period dk write xmp only in name.xmp…so its impossible for me to use the same sidecar with darktable.
i’m not able to come back on the previuos mode.
can you hlep me?