digiKam 7.0.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, Just in time to get you into the holiday spirit, we are now proud to release digiKam 7.0.0 final release today. This version is a result of a long development that started one year ago and in which we have introduced new features and plenty of fixes. Check out some of the highlights listed below and discover all the changes in detail. Deep-Learning Powered Faces Management For many years, digiKam has provided an important feature dedicated to detecting and recognizing faces in photos.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2020-07-19-7.0.0_release_announcement/
10 Likes

So happy to see the release complete. Been using the Digikam Beta and RC builds for months, without any issues. Thank You Giles and Team.

3 Likes

Thanx! I like digikam but in the past i‘ve never got really into it. Now I have been using the latest betas /rc for a month and really like it.
Are there any tutorials/ posts / workflow ideas for integrating digikam and darktable?

1 Like

I can’t find the Open With (program) flyout menu. I remember in the slideshow about future features on your front page you had slides showed someone right-clicking on a photo thumbnail and choosing Open With and it showing a little flyout menu with a list of programs you could choose from to open it. I’m still getting that “How do you want to open this file” dialog that makes me scroll through a list of programs.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your work, Digikam it’s an amazing software.
With the version 7.0.0, I have a problem with the scale of the icon on the menu bar, see my picture below. With the version 6.4.0, I didn’t have that problem.

Does anyone have the same problem I do?

Digikam 7.0.0 on Windows 10 2004.

Thank you,

Thanks for the release! Been clicking on digikam.org almost daily for the past few weeks :slight_smile:

If the editor would add proper color control, just like the control in kdenlive (hint, hint), and the raw tool would be more slidey for the decoding itself, this would be the only software I would need and use. Anyway, donation is on its way, wow I love digikam!!!

Look the story from this report : 420727 – digiKam-Window and all Sub-Windows are enlarged too much

Which kind of color control is missing in Image Editor ? Can you take a screenshot from KDenlive ?

The Raw Import tool already use the best open source decoder, aka libraw. And yes, we have the plan to improve Raw Import to be faster and provide more optimized settings. In fact in Libraw, all is already in place, we just need to construct and update the GUI…

Under the Linux native version, Open With menu is here.

For other version, this option depend of the availability of the operating system/bundling method.

Screenshot from 2020-07-25 15-24-35

I am thinking about the lift/gamma/gain, as compared to the current “color balance”, which is kind of poor.

The libraw quality is out of question (it is good), what I mean is that the options for changing stuff are not intuitive at all and many interact with each other in ways I find difficult to understand.
What I would rather have is a “full-raw” histogram, for each one of the color channels, good colour control tools that are actually applied at the raw level, so I can do my edit, which is typically to recover highlights and shadows, then adjust colours. I think most people have almost 100% of that need at raw level. As of now, the “good” part of the processing is after the raw = same as doing it in 16 bits later in the main picture edit tool = useless to some extent.
Do not get me wrong! Love the program. It is only just a few steps from being fucking awesome in all I need (outside of gimp for retouching, the clone tool included in the edition tool is just not good enough).

Hi,

Yes, you are right, look like same, I have two screens, include my TV, If I unplug it, everything it’s ok with Digikam.
My first screen is 2K resolution, and my TV only Full HD.

Thank you,

I have Windows 10 and I guess I should have paid more attention to image and noticed Wine in the submenu. This is a HUGE disappointment as It literally has been the only feature I’ve been looking forward to. I could care less about the high end artificial intelligence features, it’s simple interface improvements like this that woudl have made my life easier.

Has anyone had luck with the Face recognition? Trying to use different Sensitivity values I range from a ton of false positive to a ton of false positive but less recognized faces :frowning_face:

It’s definitely better then previous iteration but the sensitivity slider doesn’t seem to do anything at all. I haven’t had too many false positives (although some of the ones have been real head scratchers!)

Well, I did a lot of event photography, so I have a lot of people with different angles and lighting conditions. Maybe I am on the worst case :c

I can’t find this update in the software center… I’m on kubuntu 20.04.

is it only available via flatpak? Or is there a way of forcing an update of the repositories to make it appear? I installed digikam via the software center in the first instance (currently 6.4), so after almost a week I would have thought it would show up.

Kubuntu probably won’t have this update. You can get the flatpak or the AppImage.

OK thanks. I will download the image directly.

I checked the official packages and not there for kubuntu for some reason. digiKam - Installing a package

I also checked flathub and that’s still at the release candidate 7.0.0-rc Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux

I am scratching my head somewhat, but I guess ‘this is Linux’ should be my answer. I guess it will take a while for 7.0.0 to actually make it into the (stable) OS packages.

It looks like the safest option is to just use the app image directly for now until it shows up in the store.

Exactly, ‘this is Linux’ indeed (except that “linux” is a pretty broad term, so probably doesn’t apply everywhere): While on windows (before microsoft store, which I don’t know) you install programs by downloading installers from the internet, and update by downloading more installers or built-in auto-update, putting all the work of ensuring that you install trustworthy programs on yourself (in reality: nobody cares about it, leading to mal-/ad-/nag-/…-ware installed on every windows pc). On linux there’s a choice: Either you install from a distribution, i.e. someone checks programs and if they comply with some standards (which depend on the distro) you can install them. That’s just one of the things distro-packaging does for you, but for me it’s the most important. On the flip side that takes time, which is mostly taken from volunteers. Thus it’s perfectly natural you don’t get the newest version right when it is released. If you want that, you can install directly from the releasing project (by various means, e.g. appimages, flatpaks, compiling yourself, …), bringing you back to the windows situation (except that FLOSS software usually cares about providing you ways to ensure you get the legit download).

Sorry for the slight OT-excursion - getting too many vibes of “why software releases so slow on linux” lately on other mediums. And I do like pixls.us, thus do care here and hope I can reach some people with this (most on here will already know this anyway).

I usually run Digikam on Linux, but just now tried it on my Windows tablet since I’m on vacation. The UI in the Windows version looks very old and outdated. Windows 98 style.

Is this how it’s supposed to look on Windows?