digiKam Face Recognition Tags

Hi all,

I too have now encountered the problem of the digiKam face tags and their associated pararphrenalia - smiley faces, for example - and the inability to remove them.

It is already perfectly obvious to anyone who uses digiKam that face recognition is NOT a mandatory feature or activity and many users, myself included, never use it nor would ever wish to. Thus when we re-start digiKam we are presented with a box in which we are told that digiKam must have the proposed download files in order for face recognition to work. We also have a cancel button, but along with its use comes a ‘veiled threat’ that next time we re-start we will be faced (what a terrible pun!) with the same problem all over again.

Now we know that digiKam will work perfectly well in every other respect if we hit the cancel button, but we know too that we will have to go on clicking ‘cancel’ for the rest of our lives! Other commenters (in a bug report on this issue) have suggested that the feature ought simply to be disabled, and I agree: if we don’t want to use it we ought not to be forced or coerced into doing anything - even something as seemingly trivial as hitting a cancel button. A ‘Don’t show this again’ kind of thing would do nicely.

But there is a deeper and more worrying idea at work here, and nobody seems to be aware of it, or at least nobody has yet drawn attention to it. The files of which digiKam itself consist are the property of their originators and we are given licence to use them to do those things which we want the software to do. To reject them merely because we don’t like or want them would be silly in the extreme. So we quietly accept that they are there, part of the download, and we thereafter ignore them. However, installing tags via that same download which are then written into our tags’ databases is quite another matter. The tags and their databases are mine and mine alone. Nobody has any right to iterfere with them without my express permission which, I hasten to add, nobody will ever get.

Just as the proprietary files which comprise digikKam are the sole and exclusive property of those propietors, so too the files we generate - tags are but one example - are ours not digiKam’s or anyone else’s. We are the creators and the owners in every respect of these files, and it is intolerable that anyone dares to interfere with them, and particularly in a manner that prevents us from regaining rightful control by deleting these unwanted, unwarrented intrusions into our private files and property. It is a thin edge of a wedge which, if allowed to go unchallenged, will end up in our being told what pictures we may take or not being allowed to delete those we have taken but no longer wish to keep just because someone on a faraway development team dictates that they are ‘essential’ to some function or other which we don’t use in any case. It need hardly be said that no-one supposes there is any malicious intent behind all this: the notion that developers of the best software most of us are ever likely to see are trying to take over our files for some nefarious purpose is so ludicrous as to be beneath contempt: it is a simple human error, no more, no less; but having said that much I reiterate that I have strong feelings against it being done at all. There must be other ways to accommodate those who do want face recognition, a simple ‘opt in/ opt out’ kind of thing. And while I am thinking on it, there are better places to put those recognition tags than directly in a private user’s database files. They would be far more useful displayed directly on the face recognition page / screen, I would think.

Let me be clear: I do not use, nor do I ever wish to use, face recognition or any of its associated functions. My tags tree includes many images of people, but that is my private business and it is not ethical or proper for any third party to effectively ransack my files and insert their own entries against my wishes. I hope I have thus clarified the problem: digiKam files are digiKam’s business and I don’t interfere with them save to interact with them according to the licene terms. My files are my business, and I expect the same respect for my property as I readily acknowledge is the entitlement of digiKam’s proprieors in respect of theirs.

digikKam has a moral and ethical responisibility which is simple and clear: make available, at the earliest possible opportunity, a simple and effective means for me (and others) to remove these intruders from our private files and banish them forever… or welcome them back if we so wish!

I believe the plan is for Digikam 8 to make face recognition fully optional.

What intruders into your files are you talking about here? That download digikam wants is 1) a download, i.e. information from a server to your computer, and 2) needed only when you want to use the face recognition feature. That download is reference data to allow faces to be recognised as faces, not as ‘the face of person X or Y’. The alternative would have been forcing the download on everyone by including it in the basic package.

To my knowledge, at no point is any information uploaded to a server outside your control in relation to face recognition, and when you don’t use the feature, nothing extra is written to your files.

So, if the above is correct, digikam already fulfills that “moral and ethical responisibility” you are demanding…

Unless you can show where digikam writes unwanted information to your files, I have to consider your post, at best, as poorly informed. (Mentioning the worst case would get me some unfriendly remarks from the moderators :stuck_out_tongue: )

To be excruciatingly clear: the situation here is no different from e.g. color space profiles or camera information for raw development, which are included in the default download. All that’s done here is putting the information needed for a certain function in a separate download to avoid forcing it on everyone. (for those doing some programming: the same as not including all the header files with every library).

1 Like

Perhaps I don’t get your point. digiKam is published with the following license:

GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2, June 1991

So what do you mean with “The files of which digiKam itself consist are the property of their originators” ?

The intrusion is obvious: my tag tree now includes tags which I did not place there: digiKam did. These are now in my People tag: Unconfirmed, Unknown and Ignored and I am denied the right to remove them. I didn’t put them there - there being within my private and personal files, i.e. my tags, which are stored in my database. As for the stuff about downloads and all that , if I don’t want face recognition and all that goes with it, AND if digiKam works perfectly well without my having or using that, why should I have to go on clicking cancel every time I start the program?

In that respect I consider it encumbent on digiKam to either remove the tags it has imposed or allow me to do so. So far it won’t do either of these.

With the greatest respect (and that is NOT an empty phrase) you are simply wrong when you claim that nothing extra is written to my files: those tags are extra and they are written to my files. Colour space files and the like are written to files within the program structure itself, not to my own personal files. My tags are not part of the program files, they are my personal files and ought not to be tampered with, however good the intention.
Regards

Ooops! I sent my reply to the wrong place!

The intrusion is obvious: my tag tree now includes tags which I did not place there: digiKam did. These are now in my People tag: Unconfirmed, Unknown and Ignored and I am denied the right to remove them. I didn’t put them there - there being within my private and personal files, i.e. my tags, which are stored in my database. As for the stuff about downloads and all that , if I don’t want face recognition and all that goes with it, AND if digiKam works perfectly well without my having or using that, why should I have to go on clicking cancel every time I start the program?

In that respect I consider it encumbent on digiKam to either remove the tags it has imposed or allow me to do so. So far it won’t do either of these.

With the greatest respect (and that is NOT an empty phrase) you are simply wrong when you claim that nothing extra is written to my files: those tags are extra and they are written to my files. Colour space files and the like are written to files within the program structure itself, not to my own personal files. My tags are not part of the program files, they are my personal files and ought not to be tampered with, however good the intention. Regards

Sorry, you got the wrong reply to your comment.

Software files are almost never transfered, so far as ownership is concerned, to the user: they are licenced for use by the user. They remain the property of the originator. If I buy Microsoft, for example (and I mean the whole company…) I get all their assets including all their files in all their programs and products. In other words I own the lot. If I buy only a product from them I only get a licence to download and to use the particular files of which that product comprises. I don’t own them even though they reside on my computer.
It’s no differemt with digiKam: the files on my computer which relate to the program are theirs, not mine. But my images and my tags and the database whic keeps track of them (albeit via digiKam) are not the property of digiKam: they are exclusiely mine. They originate their files (and licence them to me); I origiinate my files and I don’t licence them to anyone. Nobody should have, or does have, any right to put things within my tags. That is my right, and mine alone.

You don’t like what the software is doing and you have options:

• Go start an issue at GitHub. See if you can convince the developers.
  • Fork and edit so it does what you want.
  • Stop using it, remove and use another software.

To quote from Alice in Wonderland: ‘it gets curioser and curioser…’

neither my wife nor I have ever used nor attempted to use any of the face tags or face recognition functions. My current digiKam is 7.9, dowloaded and installed in response to a problem detailed in a different post on this forum, and sorry, I don’t know how to provide a reference for that. But in any case as soon as the new download finished and I started digiKam those new tags were there. I can assure you they were NOT there a few minutes before, and I am certain of that because it was that very tag I was working with before I decided to upgrade to 7.9.
I was on 6.1.0 as the result of a Restore made some weeks ago, and that in itself was a puzzle because I have had 7.2 for a long time, and my restore point ought to have been to that version, not one from five or six years ago, which was last used on my previous computer. But I digress.

Even if it was the case that I (or some lurking goblin) had inadvertently done as you suggested and clicked on one of those functions I was totally unaware of it, and my central point remains: digiKam absolutely refuses to allow me to remove those tags. It will let me rename them (but that’s a fat lot of use) but I cannot get rid of them. That is what lies at the heart of my complaint, that control of my files has been usurped my digiKam, and the usurpation is just plain wrong.

Now forgive me, but if digiKam can initiate such behaviour then am I wrong in supposing that digiKam can also (and just as easily) reverse it. That’s all I want at this stage. I don’t think I ask too much.

But once again, I thank you most sincerely for your response ( and thank others as well) which was made (of this I am sure) in a spirit of friendliness and co-operation. It is most heartening in these otherwise dark times.

Lastly, I offer heartfelt greetings for the season that is fast upon us.

Mike Byrne

Seems that if you update to the 8.0 pre-release, there is a check box to disable the download of the AI models.

Thank you for that,it would certainly answer much of what I ‘complained’ about in my original post. Others too, will welcome such a change, so those of us who don’t want or need the download won’t have to go on clicking ‘cancel’ for the rest of our digiKam lives! One click and it’s done. But that still leaves me with the three unwanted tags: unconfirmed, unknown, and ignored. Will the 8.0 pre-release provide a means to remove these?
Another responder pointed out that in his own case the tags didn’t appear until he chose to use the face recognition thingy and that are not actually assigned to any of his photos, and are therefore not in any of his image metadata files. I appreciate that, yet I fear it misses my point: I didn’t make that choice but the tags are there, and they ought not to be, whether assigned or not, and digiKam WON’T let me remove them.

Now if I am realistic (and I do try, honest) I could live with a little more clicking when I restart digiKam - until I get around to trying 8.0 or maybe until there is a ‘proper’ release so I don’t have to grapple with any other unexpected behaviour. But I’d really like a ‘click’ to get rid of those intruding tags. So hey, Christmas is just around the corner… maybe I should make a wish… or send all this stuff to you-know-who up at the you-know-where-pole!

Anyway, thank you again. And have a good one.

Mike Byrne