Do you ever delete digital negatives?

Woah.

I find it easier to delete RAWs than to delete jpgs on my phone. There’s something about mousing that makes doing this easier than thumb wrestling one’s phone.

I’ve been wondering the same and the answers from this thread are very interesting.

I shoot in Jpeg+RAW, because I think the camera I use (Olympus OM-D E-M5) outputs very nice Jpegs out of the box, but sometimes I know I could improve things with RAW.

However, that means every shot takes around 10 MB on my hard drive. And again, most of the time the Jpeg looks “good enough” (and obtaining the same from the basic RAW is often quite difficult).

So… so far, I keep everything, and even though I know storage is cheap, I’m still not really convinced that I should keep everything all the time… yet I’m a digital hoarder, so it’s very dificult for me to trash any file, because “you never know! Maybe this not-so-interesting looking picture will become meaningful in 10 years!”

In ten years you’ll have forgotten it every existed…

I’m on this camp also and, to add my 0.02$ to the discussion, my culling process includes removing the out-of-focus, blown, accidental or “duplicate” photos, which usually are around 40%. After that I very rarely delete raw files, and also have an automated backup and another external drive that’s synced manually often,

Deleting duplicates is the toughest part for me. It’s just hard to decide which one of the two almost the same pics is better. You know, one has a bit better exposition but the faces look better on the second one, etc. I do not try to merge them to make one perfect picture just because it is pretty time consuming.

2 Likes

I can relate to that, and that’s often end up keeping very similar images, but sometimes I actually have almost duplicates from small bursts, so that I guarantee I can have a good photo,

Some time near-duplicates can be fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes