Does anyone use Caesium?

Hi all,

Does anyone use Caesium for photo compression or know about its development progress so far? The old versions have memory leak problem and my friend had trouble compiling the new version (I’m only an amateur photographer, and I asked my CS friend to compile it for me).

It’d also be cool if the “software” page has recommendations for photo-compression softwares like Caesium.

Thanks!

jpegoptim or one of the other commandline tools available in your distro can probably do the same.

What file format does it output?

Depends on the input. It supports jpeg, bmp, and png. There’s also an option saying “input”, though I mainly use jpeg. PNG compression is a bit wacky.

I’ll look at that… The reason I stick to Caesium is because of its interface, and though I never compared it to other programs, it’s pretty efficient (97% quality gives -33% space or so).

in the end caesium uses similar libs to what the other available cmdline tools use

Not a fan of cmd lines though. A GUI is much more efficient.

Development status? · Issue #3 · Lymphatus/caesium-image-compressor · GitHub

Report it in the right place, otherwise it won’t get fixed.

PNG - Wikipedia
GitHub - mozilla/mozjpeg: Improved JPEG encoder.

1 Like

Hey, the developer knows about the memory leak issue. I emailed him three years ago about it and had correspondence.

Also, the memory leak problem occurs on 1.7.0, and the repo is the 2.0.0 beta that my friend failed to build. The issue isn’t even applicable for the repo. I wouldn’t’ve asked here if I don’t know my stuff.

Thanks for the list by the way, but if I had time to try software one by one I wouldn’t’ve asked here.

If you’re in contact with the developer and don’t have time to try other software, why did you ask about the development status and ask about other software?

Please read and fully understand what I said rather than firing questions after a skim.

It’s been three years since the correspondence. I emailed him recently and had no responce.

I don’t have time to try software one by one from a random list, but that didn’t mean I don’t have time to try a selected few of the suggested programs.

Too bad the world is complicated

Random?

You had a problem (two problems in fact - memory leak and failure to compile), I suggested the best possible way to get a prompt solution. A developer’s personal email is not “the right place”. Open an issue on GitHub where other GitHub users can join in and help, but lose the attitude.

I think I’m clear enough that the developer knows the issues, and that the repo is undercared for two years.

My main problem is asking for information and another program with similar user experience (GUI and workflow), not asking what to do with an off-grid developer and a program my friend and I can’t compile.

I repeat that the memory-leak issue is well-known and not the issue of the program on the github repo. If you actually read the link you gave me, there is an issue opened for unable to compile the program already. I’m not sure what to make of the “suggestions”.

As for the attitude, all you’ve contributed to the conversation is pointing out what I and the developer already know, and making me feel like I’m wandering into a random Reddit post. Thanks for the interest, but bye.

@billyliu Please read this.

I just had a very quick look at the code and stumbled upon this:
https://github.com/Lymphatus/caesium-image-compressor/blob/master/updater/src/updater.cpp#L13

I’m not well versed in QT but this looks a whole lot like it’s downloading updates over plain HTTP, which is slightly less than optimal for security. It might not be recommendable to use this software until this is fixed.

brings up the interesting question if packager have to rip this out or have a build time option to turn it off.