Don't see CR3 in 5.8? Do this

RawTherapee 5.8 by default shows CR3 files. Previous versions of RawTherapee did not. If you don’t see CR3 in 5.8, that means you ran an older version of RawTherapee at some point. Two simple solutions:

1. Close RawTherapee and delete your options file.
  2. Add CR3 to the list of parsed extensions in Preferences.

I recommend the first option - it’s more brutal, but who knows how old your options file is, so it’s good to start using 5.8 with a clean options file which has our recommended defaults.

7 Likes

And as you’ve no doubt read in the release notes, metadata in CR3 files is not supported yet.

The Canon R5 and R6 became available in late 2020 and create CR3 raw files. I discovered RT 5.8 could not see my files. I managed to understand the instructions to solve this, with some difficulty, that is simple to clarify.

"Add CR3 to the list of parsed extensions in Preferences."

What this means is when you open RT look down the bottom left edge of the screen and just below the ? icon. The icon with 3 dots that look like a gear shift thingy is Preferences.
Click on it to open the Preferences Panel. Click on the File Browser Tab to see the File Browser/ Thumbnail Options panel. Scroll down the right hand panel which lists file extensions and blue tiles with tick marks. Click in that panel to reveal scroll bars and navigate down the list. At the bottom you can Add an extension such as CR3. Finally click the + button.

cr3 is listed in the parsed extensions (they are all lower case, adding uppercase not an option), but the browser doesn’t see the .CR3 files, just shows the .JPG I translated elsewhere. This is via launching the desktop flatpack version 5.8 in ubuntu/pop!os 21.04.

Under flatpack I don’t see anything like a tree structure with an options file to delete. I reinstalled in case it would do it.

Fwiw I also note /usr/share/mime/image/ files like x-canon-crw.xml and x-canon-cr2.xml, but no cr3 version.