Draw Note module

Last year I saw a great tutorial of @anon41087856 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzACn3l49HM
and had this idea, but left it in a box forgotten for a wile.

For educational purposes like tutorials or play raw discussions will be nice to have a module like this, where users can express their ideas and share them with others, I’m not dev, so, I don’t know if some kind of information can be placed into the .xmp

This is a mockup, sure other users can collect better ideas regarding this.

3 Likes

It’s going to be awefully difficult to do for such a secondary/niche feature.

I don’t think there’s an usecase for having it explicitely in darktable. You wouldn’t export the image with drawn notes on it, would you? If you would, then wouldn’t it be “easier” to use any other drawing program and draw on exported image…

As for screncasts there’s a GitHub - bk138/gromit-mpx: Gromit-MPX is an on-screen annotation tool that works with any Unix desktop environment under X11 as well as Wayland. tool.

It’s freakishly easy to use. I just installed that, pressed F9 and…

works! :stuck_out_tongue:

I need to test it with my graphics tablet… that could be good use for it…

1 Like

Really?
Annotations in xmp would be very helpful for

1. team work
  2. making annotation/notes for the future

By team work one can also understand presentations in youtube or similar.

I clearly see the usage and I would use it daily (or rather as I launch darktable :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

you can use text annotations - a .txt file with same name as raw file - that can be shown in lightable… and there’s a possibility to use .wav file as an annotation (that will show “play” button in lighttable)…

a “simple” annotation module could be used to generate those files for user… certainly not full on drawing annotations :stuck_out_tongue:

@johnny-bit Thanks for pointing me to gromit-mpx. I still have the “original” version from @nomis .

Annotations as in “random text” are easy to do (actually, you can already use them embedded in name_of_your_image_file.txt). But if you want them over the picture at particular places with arrows and stuff, you actually need a whole vector drawing API. It’s kind of stacking Inkscape on top of dt… Not funny.

Thanks for the Gromit-MPX tip, anyway I use gnome with an extrension named “Draw on your screen” abakkk / DrawOnYourScreen · GitLab and it’s great to do the sketches over images. I was thinking on usability for darktable users of others platforms like Windows and Mac and the ability to share files between them with those annotations.

As I wrote this would be a great addition “For educative purposes only” thing like youtube tutorials among others.

I most use a tablet too :grin: If some day I could buy one :roll_eyes:

I use Flameshot and like it very much.
Side note: is this Cuba?

Yes, my country :slightly_smiling_face:

Cool!
Been there in the nineties, loved it!
Waiting eagerly for some playraws of your beautiful and nice country and people

1 Like

Yes, I’ll put a lot of raw soon to play with them. Glad you been here. Hope someday many of you will come to Cuba, camera in hands :wink:

1 Like

I have been a few times. Your country and people are amazing. Your medical doctors help others all over the world despite years of economic sanctions. I always left inspired.

Hoping to do a cycling trip in the coming years…

1 Like

You’re welcome and others too, I’ll be your guide :grin: :rofl: :+1:
Of topic:
Cuba have a lot of wonderful places to make photos, street protography, landscapes among others. :+1:

1 Like

Stefano often posts street shots from Cuba as examples… I think he has a travel video there…I see him on FB. Not sure if he monitors this forum. He has some nice videos and he has some flare to his presentations…

Of topic:

Yep, I follow his youtube channel. Many of his video tutorials are in different places of Cuba. Havana, Pinar del Río and Trinidad. I saw one of them focused specific in color calibration and emphasis in saturation colors.

Theirs explanation are great.