editing of raw with multiple programs

could i for example edit a CR2 file in Canon DPP, save it as a CR2 file. then open that new, adjusted CR 2 file in RT, keep those changes that DPP made and continue to perform further editing in RT?
thank you

No. Use TIFF.

i see. save as tiff in dpp. then open tiff in rt. yes?

That’s right. You don’t normally want to write over the raw files (I’m not even sure anyone has really bothered with writing operations for anything other than DNG possibly).

rt can do most processes with a tiff as it can with a raw? i suppose not everything

As far as I know, RT will treat the tiff the same as any other raw file, and all of the operations will still be available to you. I’m not 100% sure if the WB will get baked into the tiff output from DPP, though.

it sounded from the way you phrased that, that a tiff is actually a type of raw file. is that so? im not familiar with tiff format.

Do use a 16-bit Tiff to move between softwares. The RT retinex filter will not work on a Tiff.

“TIFF” is a loose name for a bunch of image formats. The important points are that TIFF supports lossless storage and metadata. What is “a raw file”? Basically it’s a dump of information from a sensor which has been processed as little as possible, plus metadata. TIFF can be used to store raw data. I would say that data must not be demosaiced to be considered raw, but unfortunately that’s not always the case, as some companies store demosaiced data in files they call “raw” which leads to confusion.

All of the tools in the “Raw” tab, and some other tools, such as Retinex, will be unavailable when not editing a raw file.

1 Like

thank you.
im going to have to look some of that up. but i basically get it. thanks again everyone.