Editing Raws from SSD on NAS via 10GbE

I just set up an OpenMediaVault-based NAS system that has a 10GbE network card installed that connects to an SFP+ port on an Aruba switch. I have a couple of desktop computers (Windows 10 and Pop!_OS) that also connect to the switch, although they are limited to 2.5GbE speeds. I expect to upgrade the desktops to 5GbE within the next six months, but because of PCIe slot limitations, I can’t take them to 10GbE. Each desktop has 32GB of DDR4 memory and an Intel i7-9700 processor.

As part of my testing of this new network setup, I have been copying files back and forth between each desktop and the NAS using SAMBA (SMB). The source and destination for the files are SSDs, not hard disks, and I am seeing speeds ranging from about 175MB/second to 290MB/second.

Do these speeds seem reasonable to centralize my raw files (Fujifilm RAFs) for editing over the network with various platforms/programs such as Capture One or Silkypix Pro on Windows 10 as well as darktable on Linux? I would like to keep all my raw files on a single SSD (2GB to start) on the NAS, which will be incrementally backed up to a hard disk every night.

Other Windows-based programs I will be using include Affinity Photo and Topaz DeNoise AI. And on Linux I will occasionally be using GIMP. I might eventually settle on a single platform for photo-related work, but I expect to be using both platforms for the next year or two.

I would appreciate your feedback on this NAS-based solution, especially if you think I will run into problems related to speed, latency, etc. I will not be using both desktops for editing at the same time, so file locking should not be a problem.

I can’t comment for windows or commercial editing software, but for Linux and dark table, using samba or NFS, it’ll work fine and does work fine on much slower collections. The slowest part will be generating thumbnails and the initial read of the raw file when you switch to darkroom mode.

Note that Windows does support NFS natively. No idea if it’s faster, but it’s certainly less complex than SMB.