efiormfgejrungvieujmwerio

veojipmqrijugnvuetnvmijadk

1 Like

Are you sure that photos.app does not apply something to the raw file by default? Is it really neutral?

RawTherapee on “Neutral” is as close to the raw as you can get, and you can set the demosaicing method to “None” to see the real raw data.

Read this to understand more:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/The_Image_Editor_Tab#Eek.21_My_Raw_Photo_Looks_Different_than_the_Camera_JPEG

1 Like

Anyway, yes the color is different, but what do you want to do? If you want the colors like photo.app, stick with with that program.
If you want to use RT as Morgan said you start from as close to the raw data as possible with the neutral profile. Then you can use a dcp input profile specific to your camera to get more accurate colors from start.

Are you sure photos.app isn’t showing the embedded thumbnail?

is there a way to check it?
when i change it from jpeg to raw in the app, the photo changes

I don’t know, I left the apple photos app far behind a long time ago for digikam.

I don’t use Photos but I used to use Aperture which uses the same Apple Core Image RAW for the raw conversion. I still have Aperture so I opened a raw file in Photos and Aperture and they looked identical. Unlike Photos, in Aperture you can enable raw fine tuning which allows you to adjust the default changes Core Image makes during the conversion. The items it can include are:
Boost - a tone curve
Hue Boost - states this is to compensate for hue shift when the Boost is applied
Sharpening
Detail - fine grain noise applied to the image
Moire - aliasing correction
De-noise

For my EM1 raw file it included all except Moire and De-noise.

So it is likely that Photos applies the same default set of items to files unfortunately I don’t think you can zero these out in Photos but only make adjustments on top of them, however I don’t know a lot about Photos so maybe there is a way. Anyway it seems that the default in Photos is not ‘neutral’.

Hope this helps.

Use Pixel Fixer (sorry, Windows only) to detach the embedded Jpeg from the raw file, and you can see if photos.app is actually showing that.

do you have rawtherapee?

Here is a sample raw photo with fake/edited preview jpeg:
IMG_0937_fake_preview.cr2 (29.8 MB)

Yes

is the image from rawtherapee on neutral the same as raw image in aperture after adjusting the default changes core image makes during the conversion?

Not sure what you are after with this. The images look very similar as they have no tone curve, sharpening applied but of course they will be using different algorithms for the demosaicing etc. so there may be differences in detail artifacts which I have not analysed. I don’t know what method Apple use for it’s raw conversion and it is selectable in rawtherapee. It is one of the benefits of using different algorithms that they do not match but some are better at some aspects than others so it is down to us to choose what we prefer.

okay

You can do the same with exiftool, which is cross-platform. For example, to extract the three jpegs embedded in D800 NEF files:

exiftool -JpgFromRaw -b aga_3443.nef >j.jpg
exiftool -OtherImage -b aga_3443.nef >o.jpg
exiftool -PreviewImage -b aga_3443.nef >p.jpg