Error compiling GIMP on Ubuntu 17.10

Thanks Elle,

How can I check if lcms2 is intalled in the prefix?

If I type whereis lcms2 I get:

lcms2: /usr/include/lcms2.h

so I guess I must have installed globally when I typed ‘sudo make install’…

Hmm, “whereis” is one of those nice little commands that I never remember to make note of. But it doesn’t tell you what version of lcms2 is installed.

Anyway, no doubt you already had lcms2 installed through the Ubuntu package manager. You might have installed over the top of the package manager version with the “sudo” command during the first install of 2.8. Or maybe it got installed in /usr/local. So check /usr/local/include to see if lcms2.h is also there.

To see if there is a version of lcms in the prefix, look in the prefix install folder (well, that’s the actual $PREFIX folder when you are following my how to build guide). If you see " . . . /install/include/lcms2.h" (where " . . . /" is where you put everything for installing GIMP-2.9), then lcms2 is installed in the prefix. Also you should see " . . . /install/bin/tificc".

If you type “/usr/bin/tificc” one of the first couple of lines of ouput tells you which version of lcms has been installed in /usr. Here’s what I see:

$ /usr/bin/tificc
little cms ICC profile applier for TIFF - v6.2 [LittleCMS 2.08]

Let me know what you find in the various places that various versions of lcms2 might be hiding, and then it will be easier to figure out the next step.

Morning, @Elle,

FYI: Ubuntu 17.10 comes with LittleCMS 2.07.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Yes, that’s why lcms 2.8 needs to be compiled from source and installed in the same folders as babl/GEGL/GIMP from git. I was just giving an example of what the tificc output looks like, because that’s an easy way to see which version of lcms is installed.

If lcms-2.8 is successfully installed in the prefix, then the corresponding “tificc” will be located in $PREFIX/bin, in which case the command would be “$PREFIX/bin/tificc”.