Everything flows (Panta Rei)

Some day an admin of Pixls.us will ban me for having posted too frequently in the Play Raw category so many mediocre photos. But I can’t resist.

In this take we are in Padua again, date-time the afternoon of one month ago, around sunset. DC-LX100M2 was in my pocket. The water of the canal was flowing like smooth oil, the warm light of the dying sun was filtered through a layer of bland haze. I was over a small bridge, young people all around me voicing loudly and taking photos (probably a school class visiting the town). “Wow, I’ve already seen this in Internet!”, one of them said. “Me too!”. Their juvenile enthusiasm was unexpected and heart-warming to me.

I’d like to look at your developments over this photo. Feel free to express your competence and your creativity.

_1010814.RW2 (19.4 MB)

_1010814.RW2.xmp (11.7 KB)

This file is licensed CC0,

Almost the same framing as shot in a December morning:

20221227_0075

8 Likes

_1010814.RW2.xmp (11.3 KB)

4 Likes

Wow! That was quick! Thank you @Thomas_Do .

Unlikely, but we would appreciate it if your jpegs were 1080P sized with a touch of jpeg compression, to save us some space.

1 Like

@paperdigits Thank you for your reminder. Duly noted. To be honest I scaled them to 1080p in the beginning, but i gave up because almost nobody does it so I started to think that a close up viewing was desired. The JPEG is compressed at 95%. Next time I’ll compress at 85%. Is it OK?

I understand that file size has a cost. Sorry.

_1010814.RW2.xmp (14.8 KB)

3 Likes

Yes that’s great

_1010814.RW2.xmp (15.6 KB)

Hazy colourful for a change …

1 Like

I was temped to bloom it too (and probably I did it in a more subtle way). Nice. Thank you.
Did you have in mind any kind of reference?

I also love the colors, BTW.

I did not but I’ve learn something ! thanks !

A quick edit over breakfast to test out the response time of DT now I have OpenCL working. Faster at least. Diffuse or sharpen really tests out the response time of any computer.

In this edit I wanted to brighten the shadows as I feel my eyes would have perceived. I used tone equalizer and two instances of shadow and highlights softened with the bilateral filter. I also used the sigmoid module for experience as usually I use filmic.

_1010814.RW2.xmp (13.1 KB)

3 Likes

Lovely image. I thought that adjustments would be superfluous when I saw your version, but as usual my version is quite different… for better or worse! Possibly a little heavy handed as seems to be my usual style.

_1010814.RW2.xmp (12.0 KB)
I used this LUT in the 3D LUT module -
Fuji FP-100c Cool 1 --.zip (2.0 MB)

1 Like

Gulp.
I’ve been in the habit of posting 3000x2000 75% jpgs as that’s what I use for general online use… will change that. Sorry!

The idea with the play raw is that if someone wants the full size, they can get it with the raw and sidecar.

2 Likes

My version…

_1010814.RW2.xmp (17.7 KB)

5 Likes

dt 4.2.1
Testing module: “lowlight vision”
with your preset: “night”

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/4.2/en/module-reference/processing-modules/lowlight-vision/

20230313_1010814.RW2.xmp (7,6 KB)

Now it’s a little scary to go down that street with a small canoe … :speedboat: :waning_crescent_moon: :hot_face:

Greetings!

2 Likes

@dqpcoxeas Creative and very sophisticated. Have you used the split-tone module? (EDIT: No, you haven’t).

@arturoisilvia I don’t think the Lowlight vision module is truly effective in performing a day-to-night conversion though, its palette is too flat.

An atmospheric photo, thanks for sharing.
Two interpretations in GIMP, done very quickly. I’m not sure which I prefer.
I may return to this image and spend a little more time on it.

1 Like