Files re-named on export

I’ve recently updated to darktable 3.6, and have experienced a couple of problems.

When I export a file, the filename (usually something like: DSC*****) is being changed to a different format, despite the fact that the filename format is set to $(FILE_NAME). Here’s an example: 20210728_0428 - which seems to be representing the date in the filename. :thinking:

Any ideas as to why this is happening? (It has only happened since updating to v3.6.)

Also, can anyone offer an ‘Idiot’s Guide’ to the new (v.3.6) import process? I’m find it unfathomable! :grinning:

If $(FILE_NAME) is used for exporting your image then the only thing that I can come up with is this: What does the filename look like in lighttable view to begin with? Also have a look at the relevant info in the image information module (available in both lighttable and darkroom view).

I do not use this option but darktable can be used to import, create a directory structure and a filename based on the RAW’s metadata when pulling your images from your memory card (via lighttable → copy & import… → naming rules).

Could it be that is the case here?

Thanks for the reply, @Jade_NL. The image information is showing the filename as having been re-named - exactly as per the example, in my previous post. I can’t see what has happened (or, what I have done!) to cause this problem. It never occurred in the earlier versions. :confused:

So it could be that this isn’t a darktable issue but an external one?

You do not mention how you import your images and set up your directory/naming structures. I use Rapid Photo Downloader and let it do the renaming and directory creation for me. So if I run into a naming issue like yours I’ve got to take a look at RPD and not darktable.

Possibly, @Jade_NL . However, since there was no problem before installaing v3.6, it seems unlikely!

I must say that I preferred the import system on the previous version. I find the current one confusing. :confused:

I think the new “copy & import” does the renaming. The “old” behaviour you get through “add to library”.

You’re not alone in that opinion, but here we are.

You still haven’t told us how you import the images. As mentioned by @kmilos if you use the copy & import section you let darktable do the copying and possible (re)naming and placing of the RAWs. The add to library section only stores the images in the database and doesn’t do anything else.

I linked to specific chapters in darktable doc that handles the import part, I would suggest you read the whole thing to get an idea what this new import thing is all about (it will take away, at least some of the confusion).

2 Likes

I simply use Windows to import from the SD card.

I don’t use the DAM element of darktable - I’m only interested in using the program for photo editing. :slightly_smiling_face: