Filmic V6 for those who don't build DT and run WIndows

This is basically a portable version of DT so you can unzip it in downloads or wherever you want…USB it won’t matter. To do this I have built it and then just zipped the program directory from my computer then I have to make two small changes.

One is to add a config directory named as such inside the DT directory. Then as I cannot know where it will be installed I wrote a small one line bat file (runDT.bat) that runs DT and points it to the local folder from wherever you install it.

Its a text file that you can look at before you run it and see that there is nothing sketchy in it just these commands to run DT. As am a stranger to you I could image that might be of concern esp these days…

So be sure to use the bat file to run DT…you can make a shortcut to it or just go in the folder and double click and then be careful and only use it on duplicates or test images as it will modify the xmp files and this is only a pull not even merged yet I don’t think…so work on files outside of your main image files storage/setup…ie put some test images in separate folder to work on…

.Last thing if for some reason it does not work I am being a bit lazy. I build DT and allow it to make an optimized version for my hardware which is an older AMD system. If it doesn’t run for you let me know and I will build the generic version without the optimizations and it would run fine for you… At the end of the day this will not mess with your system and you can simply delete the folder to remove it…If you have any questions or concerns don’t hesitate to ask…

Make sure xmp writing is disabled in the config if you want to import files already done in an earlier version!

3 Likes

I did stress this and I have gone back with a small edit to try to be even more clear…that is a good suggestion though I could modify it so that is the default be for I zip it so that there are no surprises for people that don’t read…

1 Like

Being lazy didn’t work for a couple of people…here is a generic build which should be more widely useful than my personal build…

2 changes…writing xmp files turned off to avoid any issues and module group set to scene referred…feel free to select what ever group…

Reminder again this is experimental so work on copies of your files …

This should be portable…no install …simply unzip and run with the bat file…

Delete the folder to remove it…

1 Like

@priort thanks for taking the time to make this available, works fine for me.
Looks promising so far. Fewer surprises with highly saturated colours, especially if you decide to use chroma preservation = no option with filmic

Filmic v5 chroma preservation = no + basic colourfulness preset in colour rgb
Note petals turn black in camelia flower

No longer a problem in filmic v6 (excuse very rough selection on screenshot)

1 Like

Glad to see it worked for you…Ya the norms produce different results between v5 and v6 but i guess that is likely to be expected now that the desaturation is handled differently. I just cycled through them in each version with one of the playraw’s submitted for the extreme highlights topic recently to watch how each handled the sky…

I’m having trouble finding the thread… what are the major differences with Filmic V6?

Its on GIt as its only a pull request… Filmic v6 by aurelienpierre · Pull Request #10976 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like