Finally happy with darktable's colors

Shot today, make-up, picture and retouch be me, casual awesomeness by my wife:

Retouched only with darktable master and Reboot channelmixer by aurelienpierre · Pull Request #4940 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub, filmic v4, color balance, local contrast, retouch, contrast equalizer, tone equalizer.

Asian skin can be really tricky to render, green casts are not forgiving with them. We get slight desaturation in highlights while still preserving the color.

2 years of work starting to pay off.

30 Likes

darktable 3.2 not out yet and already you’re enticing us with your next toy for v3.4 :slight_smile:

Show must go on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hope so! And a very beautiful photo.
I was just looking at the channel mixer via the link and read it takes the WB from the raw, sees if it is basically daylight, and if not asks the user to correct using hue and chroma (if I understand ok, but I don’t understand the Bradford CAT bit…). I was thinking if you’ve used Uni white balance, it will go to hue and chroma every time…?

1 Like

For Uni WB, there is an advanced automatic way of guessing white balance too. The daylight GUI stays available to user any time, it’s just not the default GUI if non-daylight illuminant is detected.

But hue/chroma is actually much faster and more perceptually uniform, to set the illuminant color, than bullshit temperature and tint. Basically, temperature should be used only for daylight, it’s very inaccurate for everything else, and needlessly difficult to set anyway.

Thank you for the reboot-channelmixer, i already can’t imagine how i lived without it.

1 Like

This does look really good. I have been very comfortable with RawTherapee but I will have to add DarkTable to my arsenal of tools. Been keeping an eye on the filmic tool since it first came out and it looks like you been putting in a lot of work to improve it.

1 Like

So you finally got her back

1 Like

Yes, after much stress we found out that borders were not closed for residents, so she could come back in Covidland regardless \o/

4 Likes

Congratulations, @anon41087856 . Wonderful image.

Because of your efforts, I feel DT is years ahead of other software I have used. Not only are the modules powerful, but, because they reflect more of the current thoughts of color science, they are very quick and easy to get then tweak to my liking.

I’ve been following this since Filmic started… but finally now decided to participate more around here. You have inspired me to “give back” a little, even thought my background is Music and Photography, not computers.

You have built a wonderful tool. Thank you again.

3 Likes